Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade from KM...

I've only had my KM for half a year, and I'm starting to outgrow it, I really like the small pakage size and taking it mtn biking and hiking and skiing. I'm not impressed with the noise levels at 800, and would like a faster frames per second.

Do I get enough of an upgrade going to a KX?

is a K20d used the best bang for the buck?

or go for it and get a K7?

forsake the Pentax clan and save my pennies for a 7D?

01-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #2

If you are serious about photography, by all means get the k-7 or the 7d. The k-x doesn't have great high-ISO performance and you really won't see a difference from the k-m.
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewired Quote
If you are serious about photography, by all means get the k-7 or the 7d. The k-x doesn't have great high-ISO performance and you really won't see a difference from the k-m.
erm, what?
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was kinda suprised by that first reply myself as I've seen a few hundred threads on the KX's noise killing greatness.

I've been shooting Raw, and using LR and tried some noise pluggins to get the images under control, with my KM, its either I'm getting pickier with noise or my camera is getting worse...

My good friend is a canon shooter, so I'm tempted to the dark side, but I'm also pretty stoked with the lens collection I've built up so far for pretty cheap! I'm at 8 lenses.... only one did I pay retail for... so switching would be costly

Last edited by cb750r; 01-19-2010 at 01:36 PM.
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
erm, what?
It doesn't.

It's an upgrade from the k-m but still isn't that great. The k-7 isn't even much of a step up. I have talked to hundreds of kx users. The top two issues I encounter are short battery life and poor ISO performance.
01-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-x is still Pentax's best high ISO performer and is a fine camera, but not suitable for the OP as it won't offer all that much more to the K-m.

What's best is the K-7 (at this point), which is a significant step up from the K-m, or if really desired, certainly the Canon 7D is a fine APS-C camera but also certainly a pocket emptier with the lenses you'll need to buddy up with it to get the kind of results you do with the K-7 + limited or star lenses...
01-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #7

The k-x is nothing but the k-m with an included video mode and slightly better ISO performance. The differences between the k-7 and k-x ISO performance are extremely minute and I find myself that the k-7 performs better in low light anyway. (The lack of AF points on the k-x is really annoying). I wouldn't consider it much of an upgrade over the k-m.

01-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The k-x is nothing but the k-m with an included video mode and slightly better ISO performance. The differences between the k-7 and k-x ISO performance are extremely minute and I find myself that the k-7 performs better in low light anyway. (The lack of AF points on the k-x is really annoying). I wouldn't consider it much of an upgrade over the k-m.
Your claims are contrary to the consensus and evidence. The apparent lack of pattern noise at high ISO is k-x's advantage over earlier cameras. If you like photos that look like misaligned inkjet printer printouts, then k-x's advantage is probably slight. I wouldn't use ISO over 800 with the K20D/k-7. k-m shares k10d/k200d's CCD sensor. The k-x has a CMOS sensor.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/86432-unscientific...o-testing.html (note the "banding" or pattern/read noise)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/86420-unscientific...o-testing.html
01-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
CB750r: is a K20d used the best bang for the buck?
In a word, yes. I love mine and its CMOS sensor which has me happy up to (and sometimes including) ISO 3200. By the time you outgrow the K20d, Pentax will have something new in the offering for you.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-19-2010 at 11:10 PM.
01-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

cb750 says he wants a small body, so the K-7 really is the only logical choice (especially when it is compared to the 7D). With the K-7, you are getting a huge step up from the KM in all respects; with the KX it really is only a step in sensor - and mostly in high ISO ability. Any of the three most recent Pentax bodies following the KM (K20D, K-7, KX) show Pentax is making continued progress.

If you are invested in eight Pentax lenses already, it seems odd to consider a move I am a Canon user as well - in both systems mostly because of the lenses with some very good ones in both systems. The good lenses will always be with me - while camera/sensor technology will continue to progress (inviting regular updating). Bottom line, switching systems due to relatively minor body differences at a particular moment in time is not a good way to go. On the other hand, if you find certain lenses in the Canon lineup particularly inviting (in my case the 200 f/2.8 qualifies) - then you have a reason to switch (or diversify).

Just to be clear - if I had to be in one system or the other - it would be Pentax.
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Scooter Maxi Jim: cb750 says he wants a small body,

At the risk of sounding pedantic, cb750 never says he wants a small body; rather, he says he likes the small body of the KM. Two very different statements.
01-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you want a step up from a K-m, you have plenty of choices...with Pentax, there is of course the next step up which is the K-x (contrary to one poster's misinformation, it is not simply a K-m with video...it shares the same body shell, but that is pretty much where the similarity ends. The new sensor of the K-x is greatly improved over the K-m and is considered by many to have the best iso performance of any new DSLR in a similar price range, on the market today.) The K20D, fine camera and a great price right now for this almost 2 year old design. The K-7, which is a fantastic camera overall. The smaller lighter size of the K-7 may be attractive to you as well as the FPS as compared to the other two mentioned.

If you are not invested in any or many Pentax lenses, you can look at other brand offering, but fort me, I can get to "wow'd" about the 7D right now...just something about it says "too many bells and whistles and not enough image quality". I am sure there will be those who disagree.

I chose the K-7 after having owned the K10D for about 2 years...am glad I chose this body and the differences in feature-sets have been very pleasing. For the type of shooting I do most often, I am finding the K-7 to be a real thrill and am getting more "keepers" than ever before.

Good luck with your decision.

Jason
01-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It doesn't.

It's an upgrade from the k-m but still isn't that great. The k-7 isn't even much of a step up. I have talked to hundreds of kx users. The top two issues I encounter are short battery life and poor ISO performance.
Well... I owned both the K-x and K2000 and that isn't close to my experience at all. And you stating that the K-7 is better than the K-x at high-iso is contrary to many experiences as well.
01-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

K-7 would perform better not because of high iso performance (which is worse) but because of an AF assist lamp and tungsten AF sensor (most people's low light source).

AF points is completely unrelated (albeit I find them mostly useless as 11 and 5-point AF are only better than select AF point in a couple situations where highlighting the AF point does not serve a purpose as one would not have time to respond anyway).

I assume you have not handled both, but the K-x is a considerable upgrade, not just the sensor, but the user interface (not mentioned much, but very noticeable to me), 11 selectable af-points (huge for sports), additional custom functions (bulb mode change), fps, compressed DNG,
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have talked to hundreds of kx users. The top two issues I encounter are short battery life and poor ISO performance.
Um, where are you finding hundreds of K-x users who complain about poor high ISO performance? And what other camera are they comparing to in their complaint? i think you are either confusing the K-x with another camera, or you are talking to pepel with no experience whatsoever in photography who are expecting miracles, and in any case, I would be money you are exaggerating *big time* when you say you've talked to hundreds who have any such complaints at all. Feel free to name your sources, though...

Now, I'd certainly agree with a claim that the Kx advantage over the K-m wouldn't necessarily be enough to upgrade over. but the claim that igh ISO performance is one of the top complain users have with this camera is absolutely ludicrous. As even 10 minutes perusing this forum, dpreview, or virtually any review will show, high ISO performance of the K-x is one of its greatest strengths.