Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

ev adjust in manual mode on k-x

Hi all, I have a k-x question. When in M mode with my old m lens, I can't get the ev adjust to work. Is this disabled in manual or am I not setting something up proper? Manual says it will do it, but I think thats with an at least an A lens. Got green button set up to action in m mode, aperture has been anabled, I can't find anything else about it. Any help would be great. Dan

01-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

On page 107 of the manual it says that "EV Compensation is not available when the mode dial is set to M (Manual)."

Most likely this is because the EV button is used to adjust aperture when in Manual mode. I don't see any mention of type of lens affecting when EV comp is available.

I have to find the official Pentax suggestion box so that I can suggest letting the EV be adjusted in manual mode. And also to not reset EC when the Green Button is pressed.
01-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I've read the book several times, that part the most I don't know how I missed it. Just couldn't wrap my mind around no ev adjust until I went out and shot some this morning. Just over or under expose some, it's not rocket surgery, but I try to make it harder than I need to. Dan
01-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dan, for ease during operation, just hit the green button in M mode and adjust one of your exposure settings to mimic an EV compensation to your liking. Once done, those settings stay until you adjust them again.

01-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DSNAPP Quote
Just over or under expose some, it's not rocket surgery, but I try to make it harder than I need to. Dan
Noooo...that's actually a fairly recent addition (couple years now?) to Nikons. It's useful because we prefer to measure visually rather than by comprehending a value.

Race car drivers still use analog dials in their cars, and they rotate the dials so that when the car is running properly, all the needles are pointing up. That makes it extremely easy to spot a problem because the driver doesn't have to read the dial.

It's the same thing with EV in manual. If you know you're going to be taking lots of shots in the snow (or even in a room with white walls) you simply set the EV to +1 or +2. Now, when you're fiddling around with manual mode you simply center the meter to get the exposure you want. No need to read the numbers or count steps to make sure you're positioned correctly. Just center and shoot.

I wish the K-x had that function.
01-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

wouldn't you just adjust the f-stop / shutter speed up or down?
01-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Graystar Quote
I wish the K-x had that function.
Indeed, I can see no good reason to disallow exposure comp during manual exposure. It used to be easy to do in the good ol' days of film ;-)

01-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You mean for some percentage of the already fairly small percentage of film cameras that provided anything like the Green button for manual exposure mode - very few did, as far as I know. And some Pentax DSLR's also provide the same functionality, for whatever it's worth. Not a big deal, since as mentioned it is trivial - and often preferable - to adjust exposure *after* hitting the Green button instead of before. But in any case, no, this can't be claimed as an advantage for film, since only a few cameras had that feature, and that's the same with digital.
01-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You mean for some percentage of the already fairly small percentage of film cameras that provided anything like the Green button for manual exposure mode - very few did, as far as I know. And some Pentax DSLR's also provide the same functionality, for whatever it's worth. Not a big deal, since as mentioned it is trivial - and often preferable - to adjust exposure *after* hitting the Green button instead of before. But in any case, no, this can't be claimed as an advantage for film, since only a few cameras had that feature, and that's the same with digital.
We are simply talking about a fixed exposure offset.
01-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Exactly. Something that makes no sense whatsoever in M mode without a Green button (or equivalent). I don't know how many film cameras had anything like that, but I doubt it was that many. And of them, not all would have allowed a fixed offset. So, like I said, some small percentage of film cameras may have had this feature, and some small percentage of DSLR's also have this feature. it's simly not a film versus digital thing.
01-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Exactly. Something that makes no sense whatsoever in M mode without a Green button (or eqivalent). I don't know how many fil cameras had anything like that, but I doubt it was that many. And of them, not all would have allowed a fixed offset.
Hi Marc,

If the film cameras in question had an ISO control they had the option to apply a fixed offset. The difference with digital cameras is that the setting the ISO changes the effective ISO, on a film camera it just changes the metering sensitivity.

Cheers,
01-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That's different. You're talking about biasing what the meter displays, but not otherwise altering the sequence of buttons you need to press in order to get the results you want. In other words, that's a cosmetic feature only. Only if your camera has a Green button or the equivalent to automatically set a shutter speed based on the selected aperture does the idea of exposure compensation in Manual mode have any actual *effect* - it would actually change the shutter speed that resulted from pressing the Green button. That's what I'm saying would *not* have been a common feature on film SLR's. A feature that has no effect on using the camera but only on how the meter reading is displayed is not really as significant as the one we are actually talking about here. Even that is still not that big a deal - apply compensation before hitting Green button versus adjust shutter speed after hitting Green button is not a big difference, and in many cases is less efficient - but it is at least an actual difference in camera operation, not just a cosmetic difference.
01-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
wouldn't you just adjust the f-stop / shutter speed up or down?
Exactly. It's M, not Av or Tv or any other automatic mode, so EV adjustment is done manually, by adjusting one of the three things that affect exposure, shutterspeed, aperture and/or ISO.