Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
KX complaints-soft pics-SR issues-etc

Hey all,

I noticed on 1001 noisy cameras a link to a spanish review site concerning the sr of which they actually recommend just turning it off all together. Scroll to the bottom and have a look.

Google Translate

With so many complaints surrounding this issue, for those engineering type of photographic pro's out there, could this be resolved with a simple firmware fix or could there be something inherently wrong with the particular sr design in the kx body?

Call it mirror slap or what you will, this problem reared its head with my purchase of which I returned. Could a simple firmware change actually fix this?

Google Translate

01-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Apparently the latest firmware update does wonders for the SR performance. Many Kx owners have reported this. It was a "silent" firmware update that didn't actually change the major version number. The firmware currently available for download from Pentax US and Japan sites have this latest firmware.
01-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #3

if you have steady hands, the SR tends to introduce shake. Better turn it off. I find it only useful with shutter speeds of 1/15 or slower @ 50mm. Unless you have relatively shaky hands.

You can actually physically feel and hear the SR doing its thing inside the camera. Sometimes when you're really steady, you can feel it moving all by itself.
01-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Update the firmware. Pentax SR has been out for years and while it is true that it can introduce movement, I have never experienced in my use, or heard of anyone else having an issue with it when using it in general handheld use.

The overall opinion is it is one of the major benefits of purchasing a Pentax Camera. If you use a tripod or sit the camera down on a hard surface and use a remote, then by all means, turn it off, but a safe rule of thumb is that SR will give you at least one added stop over what you would be able to accomplish on your own with it off.

If you replace the KX with a new one and have the same issue, post some pics with the photo data intact and the folks here will help identify what the problem is. If things are out of focus, there could be a lens issue, the doppler adjustment, close focusing, or another issue. Once it is identified, you'll enjoy the camera....and it's capabilities.

Let us know how it goes....

01-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

my k20d's SR started playing up one day, would introduce shake no matter what, it was like a blurry photo on/ off switch :P

The camera was fixed under warranty.

So its at least possible to be faulty, or become faulty after time. Im sure there is a certain number that might develop the same problem before they leave the factory or during shipping.