Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Why I want a FF dSLR

The reasons I would like an FF dSLR are two.

First is that what the eye percepts as detail on a photo isn't the "lines per mm"
but the "lines per frame" capacity of the lens. So FF lenses on APS-C gear suffer
a 0.66x penalty on their real dissolving capacity because of the croping factor.
Profesionists hate this so the brands that deal largely with them have the FF choises for them . I hate this also but all my FF lenses are either pentaxes or
M42's so there's not much to do .
The second reason regards the size of the single "pixel" which for the same analysis (Mp) is (2/3x2/3 =4/9) less than half the area than it is on a FFsensor.
This means the light-sample picked is much less rappresentative of the light received for the same exposure value.This results to noise and is cured by interpolation which results to softness and is cured by sharpening .
Today's softwares can do magic things but I prefer an image that is OK from the begining than a well cured one . Makes me feel somehow insecure .

01-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could come up with similarly mathematically sound reasons to prefer a smaller format. The question is, how does any of that relate to reality? There *are* real differences betwene FF and APS-C, but they really aren't captured by the above.
01-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We've gone through similar discussions many times before.
You may want to read through this comprehensive thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/71896-low-noise-be...uals-zero.html
01-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm a little nearsighted, so I think I will need a pentax medium format camera to cope with that.

01-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pniauris Quote
The reasons I would like an FF dSLR are two.

First is that what the eye percepts as detail on a photo isn't the "lines per mm"
but the "lines per frame" capacity of the lens. So FF lenses on APS-C gear suffer
a 0.66x penalty on their real dissolving capacity because of the croping factor.
Profesionists hate this so the brands that deal largely with them have the FF choises for them . I hate this also but all my FF lenses are either pentaxes or
M42's so there's not much to do .
The second reason regards the size of the single "pixel" which for the same analysis (Mp) is (2/3x2/3 =4/9) less than half the area than it is on a FFsensor.
This means the light-sample picked is much less rappresentative of the light received for the same exposure value.This results to noise and is cured by interpolation which results to softness and is cured by sharpening .
Today's softwares can do magic things but I prefer an image that is OK from the begining than a well cured one . Makes me feel somehow insecure .
If you think you will become a better photographer because you have a 24 X 36 mm sensor, you're in for a bit of disillusion. For 99.99% of photographers, even above the average photographers, using full frame won't make any difference. The only positive aspect you'll have from the start is "bragging rights", nothing more.
01-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
If you think you will become a better photographer because you have a 24 X 36 mm sensor, you're in for a bit of disillusion. For 99.99% of photographers, even above the average photographers, using full frame won't make any difference. The only positive aspect you'll have from the start is "bragging rights", nothing more.
Will my bragging rights be proportionally larger when I buy 645D?
01-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Will my bragging rights be proportionally larger when I buy 645D?
They sure will, but I'm going to be there bragging with you.

01-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well said, but I think even in these relitively tough economic times, there are still enough people who want to buy the most expensive, regardless of skill level.

Even in our own forum, there are tons of posts like "I just bought a K7, it is my first camera, what are the best settings"

It is not that I am making fun of these people, hell they are supporting my camera company after all, but just like different films in the past, not every camera is good at every photographic situation. Full frame gives you bigger files with more pixles, but in many many shots all that storage space is a waste.

I still go out regularly and shoot with my *istD. i know it is only 6MP but it still takes excellent shots, and has very pleasing High ISO characteristics. For me, and I print up to 13 x 19 at home, If I frame carefully I can use *istD prints at that size and they are every bit as good as my K10D and K7D. Sure, if you use a microscope you might see some more resolution in the shots taken with my newer cameras but the average person does not inspect a 13 x 19 print with a microscope, usually they are a couple of feet back,.
01-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Horses for courses...

I went from K100D to K-x and then seriously contemplated a D700.

After smacking myself in the face I realised that for my amateur level, carting around several kilos of equipment is ridiculous.

At the same time, Pentax FAs would be very well served by a FF sensor. Talking as a rank noob, I also understand that several DA primes are useful on FF.

If Pentax were to go the FF route, my preference would be for them to keep it small (D300 or under size). Size and weatherproofing (as has been said many times) can be a great differentiator.
01-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think I've completed a full-circle.

Started out with aps-c because it was 'good enough' for my level of experience,
then lusted after FF because I wanted 'more', and now, I'm fully realizing the
benefits of a high-quality smaller system - having the equipment with me because
it isn't a pain to lug around is 99% more important than the slight IQ boost a FF kit
would bring me.

Now I'm even starting to think about things like the GF1 or EP2 more than FF.

01-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Wow!

The color rendition on that 15mm is amazing. It also seems to have at times a 3-D type effect.

AND relating to the FF discussion, all of my lenses are FF and I have always considered that when buying lenses

the 15 Limited will change that as I must buy one soon. Maybe its image circle will fill enough of the FF frame to be useful sometimes

The "lines per frame" thought in the OP makes a lot of sense. I have always thought that FF contributes a quality I refer to as presence
01-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The lines-per-frame argument appears to make sense at first, but totally ignores the respect to which the sensor's resolution (not size) might be a factor as well. I don't know the science, but I know the reality: starting from my 6MP camera and kit lens, I was able to get more resolution *either* by switching to a better-resolving lens on the same camera *or* by switching to a 10MP camera with my same lens. If it were as simple as imaging a lens has a fixed number of lines per square inch it can resolve and that simple math involving sensor sizes was all you needed to calculate lines per frame, then it would not be possible to get more resolution by adding more pixels without changing sensor size - and yet this *is* in fact possible. And yet if this were only true for lenses that were already so great they were outresolving the sensor, it shouldn't have been possible to improve the results by getting better lenses and yet it *is* in fact possible. So the simple relatonship between sensor size and resolution in lines per frame proposed in the OP cannot possibly reflect reality.

So like I said, FF has some real benefits, and there are gobs and gobs of existing threads discussing these. But the analysis posted in the OP does not hold water.
01-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I guess that makes me in the .01%. I have resisted buying a digital SLR for many years. I have a point and shoot and camcorder-camera but use film SLR's for what I need. On short telescopes like a 80x500 or 120x600 I need larger sensors for prime focus. Otherwise the field of view is lost. Not only for astrophotography but wildlife as well.

William
01-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #14

Here in the Northwest we have long winters with very short days - it's entirely dark out just about every day when I leave work, so in the winters I shoot a *lot* of night photos.

A crop sensor just doesn't cut it. My K-7 is relatively good up to ISO 800 (some visible noise, but doesn't really detract from the picture), but is absolutely horrendous at 1600-3200. Even at f/1.4 it's hard to get a shutter speed good enough to get clear pictures. I would *kill* for a Pentax camera that has decent ISO 3200 performance.
01-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What did you do before digital arrived?

QuoteOriginally posted by potatolicious Quote
Here in the Northwest we have long winters with very short days - it's entirely dark out just about every day when I leave work, so in the winters I shoot a *lot* of night photos.

A crop sensor just doesn't cut it. My K-7 is relatively good up to ISO 800 (some visible noise, but doesn't really detract from the picture), but is absolutely horrendous at 1600-3200. Even at f/1.4 it's hard to get a shutter speed good enough to get clear pictures. I would *kill* for a Pentax camera that has decent ISO 3200 performance.