Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #1

Really bad kx problem..please help

I was updating the firmware on my kx lastnight and it stayed on the phase 1/2 screen for about ten minutes.....I thought that it was hung up and decided to turn it off and restart the process again............really bad idea..........

Now it will not do ANYTHING when you turn the power on. No nice blue power light......NOTHING.

I have tried holding random buttons and turning it on....plugging it into the usb....everything short of spinning around and clicking my heals 3 times.

Talked to pentax and they say to send it in.

Can anyone else help? Have you had this happen and were able to recover? Did you have to sent it in and they charged you? What did you do?

Thanks,
Micki

01-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
unfortunately I believe only pentax can restore the camera from a failed update.
01-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's exactly why you aren't supposed to turn off the power while updating the firmware of anything. Be it camera, computer, game console, etc.

I hope you aren't too inconvenienced by this. You may end up having to pay for it, but you may as well chalk it up to a good (painful) lesson for the future.
01-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Sad to hear this Micki, and for this to be your first post here.
Do be careful to heed the advice given by the instructions as this cannot be rectified by yourself.
All the best in getting your camera fixed.

01-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it makes the OP feel any better, if it hung up for 10 minutes on Phase II, something was very wrong even before he turned it off. The whole process is supposed to take 2.5 minutes. I've done a half dozen updates on cameras, and I've never seen it take anything like that long.
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
pbe

My firmware update freezed also. After about 10 minutes of looking at the screen "Updating Phase 1/2", I turned the camera off. After that....nothing. I took a video of the last 5 minutes of "Updating Phase 1/2" and turning the camera off.

Thankfully the local Pentax representative understood, that this is a problem on Pentax, not mine, and sent me a new K-x to replace to faulty one.
02-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

See some tips in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/87186-k-x-firmw...my-camera.html
02-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
do we really want the kx to win the popularity contest?

we all know its the best camera on the list.

02-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
OK I am currrently having this problem with my K-7. What happens when the battery runs out?