Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #1

Dust or CCD Problem?

This is my FIRST post and I need help/advice. I bought my first DSLR (K100D) two months ago and recently started noticing little "specs" in my pictures (especially at smaller apertures). Then, I looked back at some of my earlier photos around the time I was first testing out the camera and noticed them in those pics as well. I first thought it was one of my lenses, but all photos had the "marks" and tried blowing the CCD clean but the "specs" still exist. I'm new to the qualities of DSLR images so I'm not sure if they are pesky dust particles that are stuck on OR if there's a flaw in the sensor itself. Again, it's less than 2 months old and I haven't taken it out on any vigorous adventures so I don't understand how a problem could already arise. Any help/suggestions are gladly welcome. Thanks!

06-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
After looking a little closer I think it looks like hot pixels from the color of the spots. Is this a JPEG image? If it is try shooting in RAW most Raw converters will take out the hot pixels automatically. But for the length of time you had the camera I would talk to my nearest service center and see if they could map the sensor. This should be covered under your warranty.
06-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The colored spots in the second image are hot/stuck pixels and there isn't too much to be done. They come and go in almost all CCDs from time to time. Pentax will replace the CCD if they are so bad that they are ruining your images. David is correct, most RAW converters remove them automatically so you would never see them.

The stuff in the first shot is dust. This is the bane of DSLRs. It can be remedied. Take it to your local repair shop if you are squeemish about doing it yourself, it will cost about $50. You can get the exact same tools to clean it that the shops use if you pick up a CCD cleaning kit from B&H. Some camera stores carry them, but might not if they have a repair facility that they want you to use. I ordered the Pentax O-ICK1, the device that the Pentax facility uses to clean CCDs, but I had to order it from Japan. It is exremely easy to use and very effective.
06-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #4

This looks like two different things to me. The marks on the top photo look like dust spots on the lens but the ones on the bottom photo look like hot pixels. I get the dust spots on the lens when I shoot at f22-32. The dust is tiny particles on the skylight filter which I assume are in focus at such small apertures. I have a few hot pixels on my *istD and they look like those in your second photo. They only occur against dark backgrounds so I tend not to notice them. You might be able to get a repacement camera if they are stuck pixels because I think the warranty covers from 3 or more (something like that anyway). Bear in mind that for printing, you would have to print very big before individual pixels can be seen. My main concern would be that if you have had the camera for only 2 months and you already have 2 stuck pixels, how many would you have in a couple of years.

Carl

06-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Do you think it's worth just sending in for service while it's still under warranty? It would be worth it IF the hot spots were really 'dead pixels' and could get a good servicing done for it. BUT, it would be a waste of valuable time & shipping costs, if Pentax decides nothing wrong with it. I've tried again and again to blow the dust out and cleaned all my lenses twice, so I KNOW it's the sensor that needs some 'contact cleaning.'

I've taken jpeg and RAW images, and yes the RAW conversion does eliminate the 'hot pixel' but I want the convenience of shooting jpeg WITHOUT these stupid marks! I shot a pic with the lens cap on and found 3 spots in this 2 month old camera. Am I overreacting or should I expect such results?

Last edited by Twinky; 06-24-2007 at 06:44 PM.
06-25-2007, 02:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

There are ways of eliminating the hot spots if they are too much of a nuisance. Flameout is one. See here: Welcome to Nightwatch Software
06-25-2007, 02:43 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote

I ordered the Pentax O-ICK1, the device that the Pentax facility uses to clean CCDs, but I had to order it from Japan.
David, can you provide a link about where to buy it? It is not sold where I live yet. Thanks.
06-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the dust spot i would just buy a Rocket Blower. Lock the mirror up and a couple of careful puffs later your good to go. I get alot of dust spots of varying size on my k10 cos i change lenses alot. Good news is their surprisingly simple to remove. Just make sure to hold the open camera mount facing down when you use a blower, or change lenses for that matter

06-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the O-ICK1 from an Ebay seller in Hong Kong. He doesn't appear to have any listed at the moment. It was a very smooth transaction and I had it in less than a week. Very fast shipping. I will post it here if I see it again.

I agree with the Rocket Blower also. I only use the ick1 for stubborn spots and have only had to use it once. The Rocket Blower is very useful and available at B&H - rocket blower
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
For the dust spot i would just buy a Rocket Blower. Lock the mirror up and a couple of careful puffs later your good to go. I get alot of dust spots of varying size on my k10 cos i change lenses alot. Good news is their surprisingly simple to remove. Just make sure to hold the open camera mount facing down when you use a blower, or change lenses for that matter

Anyone have any recommendations as to which size rocket blower to buy? I have a pesky spot that my k10d won't shake off.