Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #1

K-x Size Refference

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have pretty much decided that I will be picking up the K-x, My only issue with this is that It is not carried in any store around me to be able to pick it feel the weight look at the size. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs that would show a better comparison of the actual size of this model? Thanks for the assistance. If this has already been brought up, sorry I was unable to find a comparible thread.

01-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #2

Pentax K-x Review: 3. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review

im not sure if it's still smaller than a D3000 or D40
01-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's smaller than the Canon EOS 1000D, but not by much.
01-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

If you have doubts about the size, a picture is not really adequate to make a judgment. Since you live in the US, just order the K-x from Amazon or B&H and test drive it. Amazon gives you 30 days and B&H 15 days. You really should handle the camera before you make a final decision. Is you decide you don't like it, you only pay the return postage.

BTW, I have had the K-x for about 2 months. I had the K10D for 3 years and loved the handling and feel of the camera. But after using the K-x for awhile I got out my K10D and it felt like a brick - and not necessarily in a good way! I doubt that the size and weight of the K-x will be a problem for you - unless you try to put it in your pocket.

01-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #5

it's actually smaller that my previous canon 400D. so it's great to carry around and it fits a small camera bag.

but if I try to shoot with it using longer lenses and try doing some macro manual focusing stuff for a while, it kinda gives me this carpal tunnel syndrome like pain in the hand/fingers.

My pinky hangs freely at the bottom of the grip and my index finger (shutter finger) is kinda twisted awkwardly
01-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by buliwyf Quote
it's actually smaller that my previous canon 400D. so it's great to carry around and it fits a small camera bag.

but if I try to shoot with it using longer lenses and try doing some macro manual focusing stuff for a while, it kinda gives me this carpal tunnel syndrome like pain in the hand/fingers.

My pinky hangs freely at the bottom of the grip and my index finger (shutter finger) is kinda twisted awkwardly

+1 about being smaller than the canon xti (400d), already a small dslr. The Kx may not be the most comfortable, but imho, it is more comfortable than the xti.
01-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by BobRad Quote
If you have doubts about the size, a picture is not really adequate to make a judgment. Since you live in the US, just order the K-x from Amazon or B&H and test drive it. Amazon gives you 30 days and B&H 15 days. You really should handle the camera before you make a final decision. Is you decide you don't like it, you only pay the return postage.

BTW, I have had the K-x for about 2 months. I had the K10D for 3 years and loved the handling and feel of the camera. But after using the K-x for awhile I got out my K10D and it felt like a brick - and not necessarily in a good way! I doubt that the size and weight of the K-x will be a problem for you - unless you try to put it in your pocket.
I had somewhat the same experience. I had my K10D with grip for about two and a half years, and sold it to get the K-x, and I was worried about the size, I had no change of testing it before I got it, no store here sells Pentax (Canon only, small town), but the K-x works great. I have never in use thought that I missed my K10D. I bought a rain cover also ($18 on eBay, it was much better than I expected) which helps when it's snowing heavily or raining, so I feel safe.

01-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
The K-x is small in size, but what matters is its grip and the grip is well designed and quite similar to that of the K-7. I rather prefer it over the grip on the older style K10D/K20D bodies.
01-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I know it is the same size as the K-m but would it be the same size as the K1xxD series or the previous *istD series?
01-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Here are some pics compared to my K200D which itself is not a big camera-of course now using both the k200D feels much bigger.

Andras
01-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

So, it is almost the same size as the older models (*istD series and K1XXD series)..only a tad/very slight smaller.
01-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks guys all info was very helpfull. I had also found some videos on youtube and along with the information here I find that even though everyone talkes about how compact it is the actual difference is fairly slight. Thanks for the time and assistance.
01-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Compared to Olympus E-P1

With a netbook, an iPhone, and an extension cord
01-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The red K-x is nice!!!!
01-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is the smallest DSLR I've ever held in my hands. I'm still not sure that its ergonomics are such that I wouldn't rather shoot with the K10/20 for extended periods. I like the two wheels and lots of room between the buttons of the older design.

However, the size of the K-x is perfect for what I wanted as an addition. No DSLR is any good if you don't have it with you, and I am taking the K-x all sorts of places I would not have taken the K20d. This weekend, I was at a friend's choral performance. I slipped the K-x with two fast primes in the pocket of my "ski" styled jacket, and combined with the excellent performance at ISO 1600, I was able to take very nice shots between songs. (The mirror slap is way too loud to snap during any purely acoustic music).