Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is tough to do an honest camera review. In particular, if you are used to a particular camera platform, be it Canon/Nikon/Olympus and you try out a different camera, consciously, or unconsciously you compare that camera to what you are used to. I know that when I pick up a camera, there are automatically things about the button lay out, etc that bother me, but a lot of it is that I am used to the K10/20 interface.

A reviewer has to somehow forget all that and start with a blank slate.

The K20 is a very nice camera. Probably the biggest issue from an outdoor standpoint is that lack of long glass.

01-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #17

Not every UK magazine

Practical Photography gave the K-7 the award for the best advanced DSLR in their Gear of the Year Awards and they are rating it with 5 out of 5 stars when D300s and D7 gets 4 out of 5 stars.
01-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by gdog Quote
Practical Photography gave the K-7 the award for the best advanced DSLR in their Gear of the Year Awards and they are rating it with 5 out of 5 stars when D300s and D7 gets 4 out of 5 stars.
This thread is about K20 though.
01-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
This thread is about K20 though.
I know but all i was trying to say is that not all reviews are biased.
I remember that the same magazine rated K20 with 4 stars out of 5.

Regards Giannis

01-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies...and more so the initiation into the sinister media world....though I'm still in the dark as to what Outdoor Photography said about the K20D

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec:
The K20 is a very nice camera. Probably the biggest issue from an outdoor standpoint is that lack of long glass.
Thank your lucky stars you aint an Olympus kinda guy. Their faved long lens the PRO 300/2.8 @AUD9000 or 90-250/2.8 @AUD7500. Otherwise us enthusiasts must settle for the 50-200/2.8-3.5 @ AUD2000 or rebadged Sigma 70-300 @ AUD600.

A ship I was happy to jump my friend.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee:
I've had great success with both the Bigma and a *300 with and without TC.
That's what I'm on the hunt for as we speak! Which *300 are you sporting? Tried the Bigma and 150-500mm version, not my cup of tea. I have the l'il Bigma (135-400mm) for sale as we speak...I'm sure this blatant plug will be pulled.

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM:
Two weeks ago we had the coldest temps in 15 years (St.Lou,Mo) I was out
every day, 4-6 hours with My K20 & DA 55-300. Average high was 21*f
Mate you are a trooper! I'd really like the sounds of trekking with you. If you're ever down my end of the world, be sure to let me know. I like your dedication!!

Thanks again all...now if someone just has a copy of that article?
01-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
Bear in mind that most mags have an allegance to one manufacturer or another, usually C***n or N***n. This can be seen by the amount of brand specific advertising. There's no way the mag is going to shoot itself in the foot by saying that another manufacturer's product is better than it's sponsor's.
When the Canon 1D MkIII came out, a magazine (I don't remember which one it was) pointed out that some pro photographer had claimed to have AF problems. As a "punishment", Canon pulled back all it's advertising from said mag for a few months.
01-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Which *300 are you sporting?
I have an older manual version, I grabbed it off eBay for something like four hundred and change.
It's the manual version, but it works very well and the 1.7 AF TC makes it pretty functional in the field.

Someday I might actually stop being a cheapskate and add the AF version to my kit
01-25-2010, 08:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Let's not forget how the K20's sturdy construction is considered "heavy" or "bulky" while the Canon's flimsiness is "lightweight". :-P

01-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Hold down the ok button and use the front dial. Same thing...
Or, dive into the menu and configure the back dial to control ISO off the bat.
01-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
As a "punishment", Canon pulled back all it's advertising from said mag for a few months.
Wow, although the typical bias is often more than obvious, it cannot get any plainer than the above, can it?

Isn't it perverse that a consumer pays twice
  1. the price of the magazine, and
  2. through paying the advertising budget of a company with each of their products
only to get reviews which are not really helpful?

Kudos to any magazine going against the grain. People shouldn't buy any other ones.
01-28-2010, 04:22 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I put just about as much credence into what online photography blogs rank DSLR's as I do who was class President when I was in highschool 22+ years ago. Popularity contests mean nothing when you are measuring quality versus value.

Jason