Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2007, 07:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
One day K10D and the next!!??

Will say Hello again as just a newby to the site..The last few weeks have had me chasing all over the net in the hope of finding as much info on the K10D and personal reviewes i could find ..
Would have purchased this camera some time back but due to inlaw illness i put the purchase back somewhat and in the meantime have become a very confused vegymite, fo the following reasons..
I do at present own a Pentax istDS with a couple of old lens from my MZ50 along with the kit 18-125 supplied with the istDS..Camera and lens performs okay some of the time far as quallity goes depending on the day, the scene and the mood of its owner...
Overall though after witnessing the results from both daughters Nikon D70's and Sons canon 20D i find it hard to live with the fact that they get better quallity shots overall than their dad lol..
Sooo time to upgrade..
trouble is with the istDS and the Nikons as well as Canon i dont seem to have any real dilema's just point n shoot with all these camera's and have become a tad hesitant in the last coupla weeks after reading so many comments that NOPE!! the K10D is not in any means a point n shoot camera and one must really study this beast to get its true potential..
Have been blown away with some of the images i have spied taken with this Camera and does what i want of a Camera but fearfull of making the wrong choice..
Sorry if i'm boring you with this post but feel others may be facing this same dilema and maybe hair off the chest prior to buying along with the hope of a wee bit of direction...
Whether one visits a Canon Forum or Nikon Forum one will find each camera has its own and must say simmilar faults or annoyances and in the end its the aftermarket goods pricerange that clinches the purchase eg;Canon Lens Vs Nikkor Lens Vs Pentax Lens etc.. Sound right?? ..
Like i said i'm only a newby and maybe a tad cautiouse regarding this purchase...
Yep i do realise its also the user behing the tool that makes the difference betwen a top shot and a good shot too..
Ever felt you needed that extra push to make that purchase/descision lol..Okay bored ya long enough..

06-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K10D doesn't have the "scene" modes, but it does have a program mode that is pretty much point & shoot, and using the green button in manual mode will put the settings where the camera thinks it should be.

I think the learning curve is more in what all the buttons do, how to take advantage of all the features, and how to tweak the settings so the pictures come out the way you want them to.

So basically, you are correct, there is a steep learning curve to get to the true potential of the camera, but there are also certain things you can use to get pretty darn good pictures right away.

I was hesitant about getting the K10D because I already had a K100D (and loved it), but I have not regretted the purchase for one second. Go for it!
06-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
baw

K10d..

Seems you're not the only one with these thoughts.
Have a look at this thread.
Some interesting reading for you to consider.
06-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the k10d has the best p&s mode ever, program mtf. the body offers more control to the user, but it's as easy or easier to use than the previous *ist models.

i keep mine on program mtf, use my dials for aperture or shutter priority and have my auto-iso set to what i want. rarely do i have to think about the shot unless i'm setting up full manual for a specific result i want.

06-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #5

You should borrow your kids cameras and see if your shots are better with either of those models. Maybe Canon or Nikon suit you better.

Maybe your kids are just better at this than you. I dont think the camera is often going to make a big difference inthe quality of the output. You may be more comfortable, and have to work less hard, but you determine the output not the camera.

-k
06-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #6

I had the same migration path : MZ50 - istDS - now K10D. Admittedly I mainly shoot in Aperture Priority, but I can vouch that the Auto setting on the K10D is perfectly acceptable. There are no scene modes on the main dial, but the camera certainly functions very well. Another advantage is that the menu layout and philosophy of the istDS carries over reasonably well to the K10D. Flash, white balance, ISO, exposure type are all the same. The main menu is arranged similarly.

Admittedly, if your usage of the istDS has been such that you rarely went into the menus then the K10D would be more intimidating. But then why would you move from the istDS to the K10D if not to take advantage of the K10D's additional features?

The K100D might be preferable: it's gotten excellent reviews, features scene modes, and has the advantage of shake reduction and a better quality jpg output than the istDS (and if reviews are to be believed, even the K10D).
06-25-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Nikon D70 has the same sensor as the istDS. I purchased the Ds over the D70 and am glad I did. I second kmccanta, borrow their cams and see if your shots are any better, then you'll be able to narrow the "weak link" to either yourself or your gear. Personally I love my *istDs.
06-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
mmmmmm, yeah maybe they are but so many years difference in pressing shutters and they use there Camera's maybe a fifth of what i do , but then again ya never know, but really i do hope they are or do end up much better Photographers than i(Every Parents dream is for the children to excell much more then themselves lol)..
I have played with their Cameras all to often, hence my origonal post, but being a pentaxian for so long its hard to break away...
Havent had a play with the K10D and maybe why so concerned wherea's i have played with the Canon 20D and Nikons and have a fair idea what they do..
All the rest ive been picking up from the net and sites akin to here..
Maybe i should have just bought the K10D when i was going to and would have been all over bar the shouting lol and now have to argue with the other inner halfe which way to go till its done n over with..
Mindya the deal i have lined up for the K10D is going to be hard to break away from and the thought of starting over with all new lens is a bit of a concern also..
Think way its shaping up is i will be giving the K10D a burl due to price and kit i allready own..
New Lens i'm looking at will be the 17-70 and DA50mmf1.4 along with Sigmas 105 Macro....And dont look back..