Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't use it if I had it = I've used nothing ut M mode for years with my K200D and *istDS. If I wanted the camera choosing exposure for me, I'd just use P or Av. Not saying there might not be some rare corner case niche where I might TAv useful, but it's somewhere around 247th in my priority list.

01-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd miss it for sure! When I shoot hoops in dim (and unevenly lit) gyms I use TAv and let the camera set ISO. I'd love the high iso performance of the K-x--but not w/o TAv.
01-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would miss the TAv mode, therefore I would choose k-7 then k-x. TAv mode is the equivalent of auto-iso in the N**n world. There are times that you do need to have control over the shutter and aperture at the same time - M mode is not the same.
01-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Yes, I miss having TAv on the K-x. The K-x makes decisions in Av and Tv modes that I disagree with, so I use Av with manual ISO and let the camera determine the shutter speed. I have to watch that the shutter speed doesn't get too extravagant. In TAv I can simply forget about the camera settings and concentrate on composition and photo opportunities.
I've had the same nit to pick with the K-x. On the K10/20d I usually shoot in the Program mode (except with K or M lenses), and use the front and back dials to take control of the shutter and aperture. I also disagree frequently with the camera settings, and on the K-x I also tend to shoot mostly in Av. There are many things to like about the K-x, but I do find the exposure settings a step backwards.

01-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

No, but I sure miss it on the 5D Mk. II ;)

Yeah, it's a supremely useful tool IMHO. I just got really into that mode right before I switched to Canon... I miss it (but not that much).
01-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #21
Damn Brit

I would have missed it because I used it a lot. Now I shoot manual so it has become a non-issue for me.
01-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #22

A little bit, but I've adapted to use TV w fixed ISO instead.
01-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #23
Pentaxian

It is a great mode for situations where the shutter speed and aperture are critical, but potential noise is not so much of a concern. This is especially true for sports in fading light or partly cloudy (changing) conditions where you know that a particular shutter speed will stop action, and a certain f-stop will give you some forgiving focus flexibility.

It is a shame that the KX lacks the setting, given that the sensor allows for so much usable ISO flexibility. I know many advanced users are in love with the model, but it clearly was designed for those who aren't likely to spend time figuring out that Tav isn't meant for shooting in your local watering hole.

01-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
It is a great mode for situations where the shutter speed and aperture are critical, but potential noise is not so much of a concern. This is especially true for sports in fading light or partly cloudy (changing) conditions where you know that a particular shutter speed will stop action, and a certain f-stop will give you some forgiving focus flexibility.
Yeah, exactly. In a situation like this, I would find Manual mode to be a real bummer, constantly having to adjust ISO every 15 seconds when the sun disappears and reappears. Without TAv, I find I just have to set ISO to the max needed in the darker conditions and accept the higher ISO across the board - not a big deal, but, well, TAv is a nice option.
01-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I know many advanced users are in love with the model, but it clearly was designed for those who aren't likely to spend time figuring out that Tav isn't meant for shooting in your local watering hole.
Right, they will use Night Portrait instead.
01-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
A little bit, but I've adapted to use TV w fixed ISO instead.
Is there a way to force the aperture in Tv mode?
01-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Is there a way to force the aperture in Tv mode?
Nope. Which is OK if you want to use the lens at its widest aperture, because the camera will always open the aperture all the way in low light. Not too good with an FA 50mm 1.4.
01-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nope. Which is OK if you want to use the lens at its widest aperture, because the camera will always open the aperture all the way in low light. Not too good with an FA 50mm 1.4.
Wait--you could use a lens with an aperture ring (like, say, my F 50mm, f1.7), set the aperture via the lens and shoot in AV--right?
01-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Wait--you could use a lens with an aperture ring (like, say, my F 50mm, f1.7), set the aperture via the lens and shoot in AV--right?
Almost, but you have to cut the aperture lever off of your F 50mm so that the aperture stays where it's set rather than being opened up by the camera's aperture actuator . You're right with a lens like a Takumar, but the crippled K-mount dons't know where you've set the ring, so with a mechanically controlled aperture, it will set the exposure for a wide open shot (hence green button metering for M lenses).

(right? )
01-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
How does that give you control of shutter speed?