Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #1

K10d LCD Screen - Replaceable plastic cover?

Well, to make a long story short, I ordered my K10d from a dealer over in Ontario (saved me about 300 bucks), and had it shipped here. The camera and package was NIB as described, but when I took the camera out, I found a scratch on the lower portion of the LCD.

Unfortunately, I'm an extremely anal person about keeping my stuff pristine, and I'd like to have my LCD scratch free (considering I haven't even used it yet!)

I heard that there is a plastic cover on top of the LCD on the K10d that can be removed and replaced with a pentax part.

Is this true? Is this part user replaceable? If so, I'd like to go that route, instead of having to send in my brand new camera (which I haven't even used, because my lens is still on special order), and have Pentax ship me the plastic cover instead.

Thanks in advance for the help!

06-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
screen

Yes you can order the part thru your dealer the local service depot or Pentax USA/Canada. I've never done it myself but on another forum I was one there was a few discussions about this topic and the screen is replaceable. It has an adhesive gasket to make it water tight and it is removed with a thin blade by carefully prying up one edge.

Personally if the unit is under warranty I'd get the dealer you bought it from to order the part and have your local shop do the repair to preserve the warranty. I'd hate to damage the LCD, scratch the body or void the warranty on a brand new camera.
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Dang. I may just ship the unit up to Calgary (where there is an authorized Pentax repair centre) rather than back to the dealer, which is over on the other side of the country

Thanks for the info.

I have to admit, though, this is very disappointing. I understand that things slip through the cracks now and then, but I will be out a camera for a while longer

Last edited by Fireball; 06-25-2007 at 01:12 PM.
06-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well...phoned Pentax Canada customer support, and man...I don't think they can claim any sort of customer service at all. Wait was about 40 minutes, which I wouldn't have minded too much, but to top it off, the lady was extremely hostile and spoke to me as if I was wasting her time. To make it short:

"Unfortunately we can't help you because our service depot would classify this as impact damage.

Me: If I dropped the camera, there would be more than one scratch on the LCD. Also, what's the likelihood I would drop a camera that has been powered on zero times, and has zero actuations

Them: Uh....sorry...but you'll have to go through your dealer for this problem.

Stupid.

Thankfully, my e-gay dealer was extremely helpful, and the camera is being sent back at their expense.

Unfortunately, I hoped to have a dSLR ready for the Canada Day fireworks over here, but it doesn't look like that's going to be happening...