Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

K1 an KRF1 Wishlist

This is my wishlist based on the way I take photos and the troubles I owuls usually encounter. I'm completly aware that this would not make sense for most people.
K1 A serious fine art photograher camera...
No live view (I'm sorry, I don't believe in vdeo from a photo camera, I believe more in photo from a RED camera...), no screen actually, let's get back to actually see the results in the darkroom, why? RAW only, so procesor would be only to pass the data from the sensor to th memory, that would mean: less electrical activity, less battery use, les heat, less noise (that's just a guess), at the very least faster frmae rate. But above all, that sense of exitment of the old film days again Pariculary don't like subject grabing my camera to see how did they came out in the picture... this way, no discussion.
So, a FF CCD like the kodak one would be nice, without AA filter like in the leicas so things are sharrrp. 14 or 16 bit files please. Then, a good raw decoder software on a computer, and a good agreement with major software, like lightroom.
K7 body is quite nice, maybe I would take out the flash and would put a wireless flash integrated (I only use the popup flash as a control of wxternal flashes). A tetthered shooting option. Some way to be able to use old glass, incuiding metering, the camera could use multisegment light metering and we would jut imput the aperture manualy (just like we do with focal for SR), prism focusing screen 1.0x magnification viewfinder with 100% area. So far so good, I think this would be my dream SLR, there could be a viewfinder but the option to show a preview should be optional (not only in the sense of showing it but procesing for showing it, and a lid on top of the screen so it would not be visible. This should cost around 2000-2500€

KRF1 (K Range Finder 1)
Take a Voightlander Bessa R4, make it bulletproof like a Leica MP, maybe a bit slimer. But with that multi range lines viewfinder. Put a K mount (would not make much sens to use a M mount for pentax). Add FF acromatic sensor, maybe that kodak CCD without the bayer pattern, (like that mid format Acromatic+ back there is). ok, if you want add even the APSC from KX, but without the bayer patern, and the AA would be useless, of course... 14 or 16 bit files, Add a sweet f0.95 lens to the colection.
Here you have, a pure breed, black and white rangefinder camera with great dynamic range and extremly fine resolution. This is a camera based all on existing technology, it should cost around 1000-1500€

About the RAW conversion software, (I use lightroom), I would like a feature that would expose the photo based on the point I decide, just like spot metering...

01-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And how do you plan to couple the K-mount lenses so the rangefinder mechanism knows the focus distance?
01-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
And how do you plan to couple the K-mount lenses so the rangefinder mechanism knows the focus distance?
I suppose, if they wanted to make a camera like that, why even bother with optical/mechanical range-finding? They could just have an electronic indicator: it'd be like an EVIL camera with an optical VF.
01-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
OK, let's say you stick to the autofocus ones, then you have the focus motor but on reverse, so, when you move the lens focus, you move that thing that will tell the camera where you are focusing. Could it work? Otherwise, the electronic indicator sounds well, otherwisk, RF lens line compatile with m mount could do the trick can you imagine, a Leica MP with a Pentax 35mm 1.0 specially designed for RF??? Pentax lenses are usually smaller than canikon equivalents, leicas are smaller than voigt's and zeiss... So, would be quite a nice niche market. Anyway, The achromatic sensos in a rangefinder is the most important part of it...

01-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Open letter...

I like the fact that just one day after I published the idea of a achromatic sensor rangefinder, today Tom Hogan published an open letter to leica telling them... just the same... (by no means I say that he steal my idea, it's just that that would be the logical step...)