Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brightness level on K7.

Hi Everyone.
Recently while on holidays I was taking pictures inside The Mosque of Cordoba and other Churches etc witch did not allow tripods. These places are naturally dark so I was using 400 or 800 iso and underexposing my shots buy about 1.5 stops to get a more accurate representation and more importantly ( by my thinking ) keeping my shutter speeds up to avoid camera shake. On the camera the exposers looked good but at home on my computer they were quite dark. Using Aperture II was able to adjust exposer level to bring them back without to much loss of image quality but I was surprised I had to adjust them at all. Since returning I have adjusted the brightness level of my display to about -4 and to balance out what I see on my camera and what I see on the computer.
Has anyone else experienced this or is my thinking all wrong.
Thanks.
James.

01-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had no true issues with the display brightness of my K-7 in dark area's.
But I have a question to you:

I never underexpose intentionally, actually I'd work from the other end.
In dark areas I up my ISO to overexpose, maintaining a good signal / noise ratio and have a somewhat fast shutterspeed.
My experience with underexposed photo's, even of ISO 400 or less, is that brightning real dark areas always brings out colour noise.

Isn't that the case with your pictures that you've increased in brightness??

- Bert
01-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Damn Brit

This isn't about photographic Style or Technique, moved to DSLR forum.

OP, please be careful where you start threads. If you're not sure, post in Everything Else and a moderator will move if necessary. Thanks for your cooperation.
01-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Bert.
Yes I do get some colour noise when increasing the brightness. My thought is that you have a better chance of recovering details from underexposed areas than from blown out areas. As to upping high ISO I guess I read to many negative comments about noise from pentax feel comfortable shooting above 800.

01-25-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Thanks Bert.
Yes I do get some colour noise when increasing the brightness. My thought is that you have a better chance of recovering details from underexposed areas than from blown out areas. As to upping high ISO I guess I read to many negative comments about noise from pentax feel comfortable shooting above 800.
I think you make 2 mistakes:
1. Clipping in highlight is a problem compareable to clipping in darkness, which is what you do. If you run out of dynamic range (either in highlight or shadow) you will miss detail.
2. Noise is something not dependent on ISO, but on signal to noise ratio. If there is little light, you do not have a lot of signal and therefore a bad s/n ratio. In dark areas the light comming onto the sensor is less meaning you will have less signal.

The amount of light is only determined by shutterspeed and aperture, not but your ISO value. The ISO value only determines how much the signal is amplified before(!) it is stored in memory. If you work with all open aperture and you have decided that you minimum shutterspeed is for instance 1/15 sec. Then that determines your signal. If you up the ISO in the camera, your camera can do noise reduction while otherwise you should do that in PP. I recommend you not to underexpose. You can try the freeware version of Imagenomic Noiseware that works fantastic!

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic in the past on this forum and many people have tested various options. My conclusion to this is: I shoot RAW for some compensation headroom, I expose right or do a little overexposing, since ETTR (ETTR = exposure to the right) gives a little less noise if compared with normal exposure. Underexposure is somewhat worse. I try to avoid that.