Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
If it's cold enough for it to not melt, and the camera is tempered too, sure, just wipe off the snow before you enter warmer areas
I wouldn't dare. It doesn't matter how tempered the camera is, it still warms up as it's used. Especially if the LCD screens are on, or if Live View is used. The battery compartment can warm up too. All of these things would promote snow melt, which means water that can run into the seams.

As for my K-7, I've frequently laid it down in snow. I even half-buried it in snow a couple weeks ago just to get an interesting angle. And no matter how cold it gets, the snow always melts a bit.

01-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The shower is probably OK, there was someone here who reported damaging his K10 washing it off under the faucet in the tub -- just too much water pressure. Although, as I recall he had done it at least a hundred times before the seals failed.
01-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #18

Nice! I've put my K-7 through similar weather with full confidence in its, and the 18-55 WR's, seals.

I haven't got any pics of it outside in bad weather, but this is snapped just after coming inside from a snowstorm; taken with a lot of condensation on the front element.

…and this is after the snow had melted…

It's nice being able to go out and shoot without having to worry about the equipment, just wish I was as weather proof as the camera.
01-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The shower is probably OK
Clearly you haven't experienced the shower at my parents' old house... it could empty the 60 gallon hot water tank in under 5 minutes

11-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
That's the DA* 50-135mm ... the *16-50's bulky, but not that long.
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
That's what I thought, although it looks somewhat different than my DA* 50-135mm, not sure why.

I was misled by the file data below the picture. I guess that means the picture was taken with a DA* 16-50mm. Again, terrible picture of snow...

The lens in the picture is a 60-250/4. The flash is a Metz 58 AF-1.

The ambient temperature was just below zero centigrade. It is correct that the snow clings more at this temperature than when colder.

Sludge and sleet is worse an enemy than simple chill. Cold snow is, in a way, drier; and hence less harmful. -But hey, no camera was injured obtaining this picture. :-)

@heliphoto: I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate on why it is a terrible picture of snow.
11-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
That's what I thought, although it looks somewhat different than my DA* 50-135mm, not sure why.

I was misled by the file data below the picture. I guess that means the picture was taken with a DA* 16-50mm. Again, terrible picture of snow...
Yeah, yeah. We get it. You'd do a better picture of snow. But he didn't go to Georgia to take photos of snow. First post on this page:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/106084-da%2A-1...can-do-12.html
11-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I love that the Metz 58 is a trouper too!