Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 02:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dust on Focus Screen

HI All

not sure if this has been covered elsewhere to applogise if it has.

I have a K7 and have found that there is some dust / small hairs on the focus screen. Well i say on the focus screen because when i look through the viewfinder especially at bright light i can see these bits and peices (about 4 bits). If i remove the lens altogether i can still see them - so i figure its either on the mirror or the focus screen.
Nothing is showing up on the actualy images.

So using a fine lense brush i lightly brushed the focus screen - bits still there.
Lightly brush the mirro - bits still there.

Now im guessing my next move would be to removed the focus screen and clean behind it - but can anyone advise me if this is the best move or not??

Adrian

01-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I can tell you by experience that it usually only gets worse.
I've got the same issue - the focus screen I have installed had a very adhesive foil on it.
When I removed it I got some fine particles on it (damn you, electricity!).

So I tried blowing it away - without success - ok, small on, the big one in the split center was gone but I had some more in it then.

Then I removed it completely and dipped it in alcohol and it's still not clean.

Now I've pretty much given up.

So if you don't have access to a cleanroom I wouldn't risk it.
01-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
try a blower... sometimes it will work, and you don't risk more particles onto the screen...

make sure you hold the body with the hole facing downwards... that way dust can fall out if it wants to.
01-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Learn to live with it.
There is more potential to damage things than to get rid of the dust, and it will come back at some point anyway.

01-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
I can tell you by experience that it usually only gets worse.
I've got the same issue - the focus screen I have installed had a very adhesive foil on it.
When I removed it I got some fine particles on it (damn you, electricity!).

So I tried blowing it away - without success - ok, small on, the big one in the split center was gone but I had some more in it then.

Then I removed it completely and dipped it in alcohol and it's still not clean.

Now I've pretty much given up.

So if you don't have access to a cleanroom I wouldn't risk it.
That sounds like the Jinfinance screen. I just learned to live with it as well. I destroyed the first one that came trying to clean it. It is just not worth it.
01-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

it adds character
01-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the suggestions to leave it alone - it's at least as likely you'll make it worse or even ruin the screen than fix it, and it's guaranteed more will show up a few weeks later anyhow. Just get used to it. Dust works its way in, and eventually out again, in a never ending cycle.
01-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, it is the Split screen from Jinfinance.
Good screen but impossible to keep dust and hair-free.

If I get access to compressed air (not the canned air) I'll try to get everthing "clean" again.

01-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #9

my k-x has a big dust (eraser-leftover like dust) on the viewfinder mirror itself.. the OPPOSITE side of the mirror (not facing inside)... tried to blow using blower, the dust won't go
01-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Forum Member

i second the motions to leave it alone.

I had one piece of dust after changing my focusing screen from stock to a split screen from jnfinance.

when I used the blower, I got MANY more particles of dust.

I took it out, cleaned it several times with a blower and various other means and all that happened is that I got different dust particles distributed in different areas.

not worth it, chances are you'll just make it worse.
01-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steveeboy Quote
i second the motions to leave it alone.

I had one piece of dust after changing my focusing screen from stock to a split screen from jnfinance.

when I used the blower, I got MANY more particles of dust.

I took it out, cleaned it several times with a blower and various other means and all that happened is that I got different dust particles distributed in different areas.

not worth it, chances are you'll just make it worse.
At least you didn't put a big scratchy mark in the matte area. That is what I did with the first one I bought. Thank goodness it was not a Katzeye.