Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

My poor baby

I have a question, and I hope I put this in the right forum, has any ever bought an extended warranty from Wolf camera?, here's my deal. I took my (then) brand new K10D to sea world in 06, we were told it was too cold and there would be no splashing so we sat close for some better pics, well.. someone never gave Shamu the memo.. got splashed twice before I could get out of there, I kept using it and it seemed fine but had some water droplets in the lcd, I got my K7 on black friday so i sent the K10 in to have her fixed, its been 4 weeks so I called today to check on the status... I was told my camera was not repairable and was being sent to corporate for replacement. I asked if the replacement was going to be a refurb or ?????, the guy at the store said all those desitions are made by corporate and could tell me nothing more..
Does anybody have any idea what I should expect????

01-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Damn Brit

A refurb should just mean that it's been checked more thoroughly than an off the production line camera. More often than not they are open box returns.
01-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If they have K10's in stock somewhere, you may get a new one. If not, you could get a refurb. I've heard of some folks (and this is very rare) who have gotten a gift card worth the original purchase price of the camera. Certainly the staff at the store can try to keep following up with corporate for you. If you have any time left on your extended warranty, make sure it gets transferred to your new camera.

Whatever happens, it'll be better than looking at a camera with water droplets in the LCD. :P
01-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you both, I hope they send me another K10 since I have the grip and extra batteries, but if I get the gift card I can add some cash and have a K20, the thing about the warranty.. I was supposed to take it in a while back but didnt want to give up my camera for a month ot two and I lost track of time, my warranty expired on Jan 4th, I took the camera in on Jan 4th just before the store closed.. WHEW!!!

01-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ACImages Quote
Thank you both, I hope they send me another K10 since I have the grip and extra batteries, but if I get the gift card I can add some cash and have a K20, the thing about the warranty.. I was supposed to take it in a while back but didnt want to give up my camera for a month ot two and I lost track of time, my warranty expired on Jan 4th, I took the camera in on Jan 4th just before the store closed.. WHEW!!!
The moral being "Never put off today that which you may have to pay for yourself tomorrow".

Let us know what actually happens will you?
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes sir I sure will..
01-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My report, I took my K10 in on Jan 4th to get the water damage fixed, got a call from wolf camera today to tell me a brand new K10 was waiting for me at the store, I have looked it over good and if its a refurb I would never know, it looks brand new and cant see any marks on the lens mount, I really dont deal with wolf much anymore because they dont carry pentax but the extended warranties they offer seem to really work.

01-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Sounds like a good outcome, but check the shutter count.
01-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #9

Awesome, glad it worked out for you!
01-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
Sounds like a good outcome, but check the shutter count.
Can ya tell me how to find it, I have no idea..
01-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Man.. I took it upon myself to do a forum search, it really works!! .
shutter count is 491
firmware version is 1.00.00.15
01-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ACImages Quote
Can ya tell me how to find it, I have no idea..

Sounds as if you have sorted it, but assuming you have a PC, go to PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor and download and install Photome. Take a picture and download it to your hard drive. Right click on it and select "open with" and Photome. All will be revealed.

Last edited by Oggy; 01-30-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Typo