Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Back to being a Pentaxian

It's been an interesting journey and I've come back to the Pentax fold. I just picked up my K-x with kit lens today Can't wait for the weekend to play around with it. Eventually my next purchase will be a DA 15mm Ltd as I do mainly landscape shooting. Might be a while before that happens though. I even kept the strap I used on my Pentax SLR and dSLR cameras as something was telling me I'd return

01-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is a very nice and loud strap--welcome back old mate. I do remember you posting--so, what brought you back? Is it that high ISO beast, the Kx? I am curious, to where did you venture and what brings you back?
01-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the camera, and welcome back. Cool strap
01-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
That is a very nice and loud strap--welcome back old mate. I do remember you posting--so, what brought you back? Is it that high ISO beast, the Kx? I am curious, to where did you venture and what brings you back?
Hi JewellTtrail, I remember you as well, thanks for the welcome.

My Dad used Pentax film SLRs so I pretty much grew up on Pentax. I started with Pentax digital however: grass is greener(?)/LBA/a little insanity and I was switching camera bodies and lenses like nobodies business. Pentax, to Nikon to Panasonic to Canon. For what I have no idea and my wallet suffered. For the past year I survived on a couple of P&S's until I could afford a dSLR again. Pentax the brand and this forum is where I feel more at home. Pentax has the right feel for me, the right features and the wonderful glass.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Congrats on the camera, and welcome back. Cool strap
Thanks Jonson, it definitely shows the name well

01-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi ajuett, i'm new here but i do share the same neckstrap as yours, so i can say maybe you are the prodigal son.
01-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eselite Quote
Hi ajuett, i'm new here but i do share the same neckstrap as yours, so i can say maybe you are the prodigal son.
LOL, you might be right
01-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About 6 weeks ago I was doing the exact same thing, getting reaquainted with Pentax via the K-x after a brief period of Canon ownership. Once that little K-x starts working its magic (which of course requires you to learn how best to work with it ) you'll wonder why you ever owned anything else.
01-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
It's been an interesting journey and I've come back to the Pentax fold. I just picked up my K-x with kit lens today
Congrats on your choice but your kit lens is not WR?

One of my neighbors friend went to New York and picked a K-x 18-55 WR kit for him from Adorama store by walking in, he brought the kit here but we found the kit lens was an AL I version instead of WR. My neighbor emailed them, they've checked the purchase number, they accepted it was a mistake but their excuse was kit was marked as a WR lens in the box, it was sent that way from Japan. My neighbor decided not to send back the non-WR lens to them because they've asked both way cargo should be paid by him for a replacement.

Your camera picture reminded the occasion to me.

There was a heavy snow here yesterday, if I had his WR version, I would play in the snow like a happy baby polar bear, instead of being frightened from the sno flakes all over the camera, and trying to take pictures while holding an umbrella.

01-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
It's been an interesting journey and I've come back to the Pentax fold. I just picked up my K-x with kit lens today

Something looks odd to me at the picture you've attached - did you get 18-55 AL lens with this kit?! I've got the 18-55 AL II lens (which is newer)!
I think that the new k-x will have the second version of the lens...

Strange, no?
01-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenzebra Quote
Something looks odd to me at the picture you've attached - did you get 18-55 AL lens with this kit?! I've got the 18-55 AL II lens (which is newer)!
I think that the new k-x will have the second version of the lens...

Strange, no?
The version of the 18-55mm that comes with the K-x is "DA L". If you look on the front of my photo its not that clear, it reads "SMC Pentax DA L 1:3.5-5.6 18-55 AL" This is the lastest kit lens that ships with the K-m and K-x.
01-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
Banned

the DA L is the correct lens for this body. the WR is the correct lens for the K-7. but either could I suppose be sold with the DA II or DA WR.
01-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Congrats on your choice but your kit lens is not WR?

One of my neighbors friend went to New York and picked a K-x 18-55 WR kit for him from Adorama store by walking in, he brought the kit here but we found the kit lens was an AL I version instead of WR. My neighbor emailed them, they've checked the purchase number, they accepted it was a mistake but their excuse was kit was marked as a WR lens in the box, it was sent that way from Japan. My neighbor decided not to send back the non-WR lens to them because they've asked both way cargo should be paid by him for a replacement.

Your camera picture reminded the occasion to me.

There was a heavy snow here yesterday, if I had his WR version, I would play in the snow like a happy baby polar bear, instead of being frightened from the sno flakes all over the camera, and trying to take pictures while holding an umbrella.
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I've used both the 18-55mm II and 18-55mm L in light rain and similar lenses with even less solid construction in heavy snow without any difficulties. Just be careful of not getting snow/raindrops forced into the lens when you zoom in and out and you should be fine.
01-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

C

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I've used both the 18-55mm II and 18-55mm L in light rain and similar lenses with even less solid construction in heavy snow without any difficulties. Just be careful of not getting snow/raindrops forced into the lens when you zoom in and out and you should be fine.
Snowing was so heavy and joyful I wouldn't worry about lens even if it's destructed, instead I worried about snow water gets into the camera from the mount place by capillary water movement, isn't there a embedded "O" ring kinda thing on the lens' mount in the WR version, no?
01-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've just checked the web, on 18-55 WR that red "O" ring looking thing should be the one I am talking about, protect the camera from the mount point.
Attached Images

01-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Snowing was so heavy and joyful I wouldn't worry about lens even if it's destructed, instead I worried about snow water gets into the camera from the mount place by capillary water movement, isn't there a embedded "O" ring kinda thing on the lens' mount in the WR version, no?
I have actually had that experience, shooting in heavy rain with one of the most cheaply-constructed Pentax lenses available (it was free, so why not? ). Fortunately neither the lens or my K20D suffered any lasting damage, it just started to act like there was a non-"A" lens attached. Again, though, snowmelt would be unlikely to cause such a problem but if you're still worried then the WR lens is always nice to have. Plus it looks cooler.