Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #1

Effect of kx color on macro/close-up shot?

i want to buy colored kx but someone told me that i'm better off buying the black body as the color of the body may affect the resulting shots especially those close-up/macro shots? any advise on this?

01-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by voltraizer Quote
i want to buy colored kx but someone told me that i'm better off buying the black body as the color of the body may affect the resulting shots especially those close-up/macro shots? any advise on this?
That's crap.
I always wonder where people come up with this stuff.
01-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's crap.
What, you don't go out and shoot dressed in your finest mourning attire?
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #4

Maybe if you're taking pictures inches away from your subject, I could see how that could happen especially with the white and blue (haven't seen the red in person). The white and blue had a very shiny finish (unlike the black which has a rough powdercoated look) that could reflect sunlight back onto your subject.

01-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by voltraizer Quote
I use the white, and I haven't noticed anything like this. I have very strong doubts about this being any kind of a problem, at all! How small would the lens have to be to let the light reflecting from the body reach the subject, and if the angles are right, it's too far away. Not even the 35mm LE would be small enough.

I wouldn't worry about it.
01-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's crap.
It's not really crap, close in macro shots can be affected with colour shifts, clothing too is often a problem, I learnt the hard way. Photographing specular objects introduces a whole raft of problems, black bodies are easier to conceal in reflections unless of course you're using a gobo. It all depends what you're trying to acheive and how critical you or your viewers are.
01-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I suppose a macro shot could be affected by light reflecting off a light-colored camera body, but the light could also be reflected off the top of my bald head. I'll try to remember to wear a top hat for macro shots.

If light is reflecting off a camera body you could probably just drape a small dark cloth over the front of the body.
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
It's not really crap, close in macro shots can be affected with colour shifts, clothing too is often a problem, I learnt the hard way. Photographing specular objects introduces a whole raft of problems, black bodies are easier to conceal in reflections unless of course you're using a gobo. It all depends what you're trying to acheive and how critical you or your viewers are.
I could see it with clothing, but I'm having a hard time accepting that colour reflection off a camera body could cause anything.
Think about it Rob, by the time you get close enough for a potential colour cast to show up, the camera is completely eclipsed by the lens in most cases.
I've had colour problems in the darkroom by wearing odd coloured shirts and then having colour casts show up on the prints, but I'm a lot bigger than a Pentax K-x (I'm kinda Polaroid 20x24 sized.

01-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I could see it with clothing, but I'm having a hard time accepting that colour reflection off a camera body could cause anything.
Think about it Rob, by the time you get close enough for a potential colour cast to show up, the camera is completely eclipsed by the lens in most cases.
On my light table I have an array of reflectors (great slabs of polystyrene with fishing weights melted into the edges so they stay standing up), these reflect not just the lights but the colour of the objects in the scene, if my camera was other than black (or potentially white) I know it would give me colour shifts even at macro focus distances. I may do a little test later.
01-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

On my light table I have an array of reflectors (great slabs of polystyrene with fishing weights melted into the edges so they stay standing up), these reflect not just the lights but the colour of the objects in the scene, if my camera was other than black (or potentially white) I know it would give me colour shifts even at macro focus distances. I may do a little test later.
Heck, just do a little geometry.
Set up your macro and see if any of the camera body is visible from any of the subject.
My guess is, unless you are using a 35mm macro, the lens will eclipse most if not all of the body.
An orange camera can reflect all the light it wants, if it can't reflect it onto the subject the colour isn't going to matter.
01-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Set up your macro and see if any of the camera body is visible from any of the subject.
My guess is, unless you are using a 35mm macro, the lens will eclipse most if not all of the body.
An orange camera can reflect all the light it wants, if it can't reflect it onto the subject the colour isn't going to matter.
It may not matter greatly if the camera's not visible to the subject but it would reflect off the reflectors if it weren't black. I generally use a 35 and 50mm macro, the 35mm lets me get closer in so it's potentially more of a problem.
01-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It may not matter greatly if the camera's not visible to the subject but it would reflect off the reflectors if it weren't black. I generally use a 35 and 50mm macro, the 35mm lets me get closer in so it's potentially more of a problem.
I dunno Rob, I think you should spray paint your K-x Fire Engine Red and see if you can make it throw a colour cast onto an image.
Betcha you can't without trying real hard.
01-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
Damn Brit

Sorry to butt in guys (well not really)

Without having the ability to experiment (I'm not painting my camera) I'm with Bill on this one. I could understand it at non macro distances but wouldn't expect it with macro work. If that were true, surely a black or white camera could potentially affect exposure.
01-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Sorry to butt in guys (well not really)

Without having the ability to experiment (I'm not painting my camera) I'm with Bill on this one. I could understand it at non macro distances but wouldn't expect it with macro work. If that were true, surely a black or white camera could potentially affect exposure.
I'm sure the camera reflectivity would affect the exposure, moving a reflector sure can, but a colour cast would be of far greater consequence in the scenario I mentioned. I will attempt to practically confirm the colour cast hypothesis when I next make some product shots, though I'll just use a sheet of coloured paper rather than paint my nice plain black camera. ;-)
01-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

though I'll just use a sheet of coloured paper rather than paint my nice plain black camera. ;-)
Spoil sport.