Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 05:33 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The "crop factor" may exist, but it isn't a useful concept (unless you shot film for years). The real question is what focal length works for you. I personally feel 50mm to be a little long and like 40mm better, but that is a question that only you can answer. Look at your photos made with your kit lens and see where they fall. That will tell you a lot.

I agree not to use a converter. If you want to go cheap, go manual focus, manual metering. Those will lower the price of your lens considerably. Otherwise, go for the Sigma.

01-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
There you go...bringing up sex for money again.

You want to rent me out?
01-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
And if my initial post offended you, well.. tough luck, thats how i roll.
No sweat. Keep on rolling and gather no moss, time traveler.
01-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #49
Veteran Member

He's right, I have it doe\wn to a few lenses that I use 95% of the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
The point i was trying to drive home was that you have to understand what you are getting into. You have a tool and you have peripherals to expand that tools capability.

You'll have the occasional low budget elitist jump in and claim that the world can be had in the palm of your hand with a broken spotmatic and a 50mm lens... which is true, if your world occupies the confines of a mexican prison cell.

Trust me when i say that i understand what you are going through because in a way i too wanted the same things, wide to normal angle fields of view and thin depth of field.

trying to find budget solutions i ended up buying one of pentax's most prestiegous lenses, the FA31 (after hording something like 20 "low budget" lenses in total)

my chase to find what i want through sheer experimentation rather than tedious research has cost me quite a bit of cash... and what have i learned... better to buy the right tool the first time, even if the initial cost may seem high.

in fact, looking back, i could have outfitted myself with a D700 and 3-4 quality lenses for teh amount of money i spent with pentax.

because once you figure out what you want out of your photography, two or three lenses really DO get the job done.. and they get it done fantastically.

if money is tight, my suggestion is to SAVE and read these forums.

And if my initial post offended you, well.. tough luck, thats how i roll.

01-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I wasn't referring to macro lenses, which can be had in very good quality, if you go for an achromat. I was only referring to the thread openers question about these wide-angle attachments.

A friend used to use one in the past on his film camera and I ofcourse took the opportunity to make my own trials. It was quite an expensive attachment, not those 20 bucks bargains. But the results were crap: internal reflexes, very visible colour aberrations *quite like in your example, in which I cannot see a single really sharp pixel and hefty barrel distortion.

Ben
It actually causes barrel distortion and the shots I did where from what I had since I never did toss that wide converter lens.
The OP was curious about one thing and I had the resources so, I tried to help with the shots.
From my post, if the OP sees it as good or bad, at least, I had him/her make a decision because of the images and not just because of what I said.
I'm glad too if the OP would see it the way you do about my examples not having a single really sharp pixel and hefty barrel distortion so that he would try to acquire a wider lens than just sticking with his original idea.
01-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
Well, in that case go for it.

I have a word of warning though. If you want the wide aperture for the bokeh, it may not look that good. If you want the wide aperture for low light shooting, the wide angle converter may take up a stop of light (or more). Your f/1.4 may turn into a f/2 or f/2.8.
This is actually right as seen from my post too.
I don't actually use the wide converter anymore as it was from my P&S camera but it was fun to experiment with it.
01-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #52

Original Poster
Does anyone have any thoughts on the sigma 30mm f1.4 vs the sigma 28mm f1.8? The 28mm is a bit cheaper, but they're comparable.
01-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #53

No comment on the 28 f/1.8 having never used one, but the 30 f/1.4 is fast becoming one one of my favorite lenses.