Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kx with MF Lens w/o "A" ring

Hi guys,

I'm used to use the PREVIEW button on the K10D for the exposure value when using non-A MF lenses and the green button to reset exposure.

Old news, everybody knows how the PREVIEW button & Green button works.

Roll over few years, and now I have also a Kx. I am trying to figure out how to stop-down the lens and get the EV values in the screen...

The closest I can do is pressing the GREEN button, but it does NOT show the current EV but instead it RESETS the exposure to zero the EV. Kinda the same way in the K10D.

So basically I am not finding a way for me to read the EV and NOT reset the exposure.

Did I explain this right? Where is the PREVIEW button from the K10D in the new Kx??

Thanks in advance

01-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Funny you should asked. Someone else asked recently...this should help.

When a lens with a manual aperture is mounted, the operation of the K-x is as described on page 284 of the manual.

The first thing you must do is change the "Using Aperture Ring" option in the Custom Setting 4 menu. The default option is "Prohibited". This prevents the camera from firing if a manual lens is mounted, or if an auto lens does not have the aperture set to the "A" position. To manually set the aperture, set the "Using Aperture Ring" option to "Permitted". Now the camera will operate.

Page 284 describes what happens in the Av and M modes of various lenses. In Manual mode, when the Green Button is set to Optical Preview, you can press the Green Button to meter the scene. While the Green Button is pressed, you can use the e-dial to change the shutter speed and select a speed that provides correct exposure (or, as I like to write, "correct" exposure, because it's not correct...it's standard. You still need to adjust the "correct" exposure for bright or dark subjects.)
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That particular shortcoming is one of the reasons I wouldn't have bought a K-m. Check the custom menu settings for the green button on your K-x, there may be an option to set it as a DOF preview button that will also turn the meter on.
01-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Graystar,

I am way beyond that. Thanks for the input, but as an older Pentax user, I am aware you first need to enable the non-A lenses.

I have done that.

I can shoot normally, my question is regarding metering. Not sure if you have any semi-pro model (K10D / K20D / K7) to refer to.. but in those models, as you step-down the lens (using the PREVIEW button) you have the EV reading showing in the screen.

I cant find the PREVIEW button in the Kx though... so I am confused how this works...

01-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
That particular shortcoming is one of the reasons I wouldn't have bought a K-m. Check the custom menu settings for the green button on your K-x, there may be an option to set it as a DOF preview button that will also turn the meter on.
Oucch!!

I thought you were saying the Kx didnt have this... OMG! You got me there for a minute..

Problem solved.... you were right on the spot: i've changed the GREEN to optical preview.

And funny thing is, the Av button right next to it, functions just as the GREEN button and resets the EV!

I thought i had to lose the GREEN button (since i changed it to PREVIEW) but I still have both functions working at the same time!!!

Are you sure the KM does not offer this??? Pretty weird....

But anyhow, thanks a ton!!!

BB
01-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I can shoot normally, my question is regarding metering. Not sure if you have any semi-pro model (K10D / K20D / K7) to refer to.. but in those models, as you step-down the lens (using the PREVIEW button) you have the EV reading showing in the screen.

I cant find the PREVIEW button in the Kx though... so I am confused how this works...
On the K-x you must set the Green Button to "Optical Preview". Then, while in manual mode, you press the Green Button and you'll see the meter reading in the viewfinder. While you have the Green Button pressed, you can use the e-dial to change the shutter speed to adjust exposure.
01-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Are you sure the KM does not offer this???
It is true that the K-m lacks the optical DOF preview function, which is what gives you the "live" meter reading.