Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #1

Dumb Question

First a little background about me:

In 2004 I bought a Nikon D70 with kit lens - paid about $1300
It was stolen by an In-Law in 2005 who sold it for $50 @ a jockey lot to get some beer money.

It was 1 year later that I could afford another DSLR, and this time I bought the Canon Digital Rebel XTi in October of 2006. I was headed to Vegas, and the D80 was too far away.

Fast Forward to May of this year, and I was fed up with the canon, it was WAY too small for my hands, even with the battery grip. So, I sold it. I started looking at the EOS 30D and was getting ready to buy one, when I started checking out the Pentax K10D. I never held one, but it appeared that it was every bit as big as the 30D if not bigger, so on 6/11/07 I ordered a K10D from B&H and had it overnighted to Texas.

I could not happier with that decision.

Now on to the acutal question, with Nikon and Canon if I set the camera to shutter priority mode and force the shutter speed to the fastest that it would go, it would take a picture...might be black or whatever, but it would do it.

The Pentax on the other hand lets me set it to 1/4000th, but when I half press, It changes to properly expose the picture.

Now, I realize that this is idiot proof, and that you cannot really fubar the picture, but what if I wanted to be an idiot and force it?

This is more of a how do I do it, as opposed to I actually want to do it.

Thanks for listening to the babble, and thanks for any answers.

06-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my k10d doesn't do that in shutter priority (Tv). what firmware are you using? i tried with auto and user specified iso.
06-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Firmware 1.20

I just called Pentax and they verified that it is an auto exposure mode, so it adjusts to correct exposure. If you set to 1/4000th and then half press look at the top LCD, you will see the shutter speed change and the Aperture will be blinking. At first the Pentax guy did not believe me until he got a K10D and tried it himself, then he called someone and they said that full manual was the only way to force it.

To check, set to 1/4000th in your house, or indoors and take the pic...it should come out Black or near black, unless you have a lot of light inside. If it comes out anything other than black or near black, then the camera adjusted the shutter speed.
06-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

that's exactly what i did, and it worked as it should for me. can't explain why it's not working for you.

exif data example

06-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

go into the menu and turn off Auto EV Compensation.
06-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
just tried it - Tv : 1500, its evening here so should be black and comes out black

the solution is go to the menu - C - Auto ev compensation change this setting and you can get real black shots
06-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #7

There's a saying over here.

There is no dumb questions, the only dumb question is the one never asked.
06-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Yep just turned off auto ev compensation and I got a fully darkened shot at 1/4000

06-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys, not sure why Pentax could not tell me that, but either way it works now.

I am very glad that I joined up and look forward to posting a lot more in the future
06-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

np. it's easy to forget about that option. once you turn it off, i doubt you'd ever turn it back on