Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Just further to the lens line up, as others have said, the fast zoom range is rather minimal. There's a 16-50mm f/2.8, which is meant to be very good optically if you don't have any SDM issues, and I think is a great cropped-sensor zoom range. Then there's 50-135mm f/2.8. These are the only modern f/2.8 zooms. There's a 60-250mm, great range and f/4. There is no f/2.8 super wide angle zoom.

Camera Lens - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

If you have a big range of older Pentax optics and you don't mind using them on the modern body, I think the K-7 is a good choice. You have the compatability, plus the built in shake reduction. This also helps keep the cost of Pentax lenses down compared to ones that require built-in stabilisation. It also means it is less of a trade off to use third party lenses, and I think lots of Pentax users use Sigma, Tamron etc in the zoom range.

Last edited by CWyatt; 01-29-2010 at 06:01 PM.
01-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This advice is truly appreciated. The more digital I fool with the more I realize that I will be shooting RAW in the majority of cases, especially in situations where I know it is necessary to obtain the proper image.
I have always protected my gear in harsh conditions (I've been in many) and still keep a couple of sandwich bags with rubber bands in them in my gear bag for that purpose. It makes good sense to go the Tamron route with the zooms and have money to go toward some limited primes, which I really prefer.
I feel I will be more satisfied with the K7 because of its size. It grew weary of lugging around the heavy and larger stuff years ago.
All great food for thought. Again, thanks. It is nice to be in a forum where I'm getting real, friendly feedback and logical advice.

Last edited by zenspector; 01-29-2010 at 06:03 PM.
02-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
Pentax for two big reasons:

1)
QuoteOriginally posted by zenspector Quote
I am still pretty much old school
Wonderful so you haven't problem to use old lens on manual mode.

2)
I am leaning toward the Pentax, one reason being an photo friend is a long time user and I have access to a lot of great glass which the K7 will accept.
Very good. Will be a great start.
02-02-2010, 05:12 AM   #34

The D300s and the K-7 are both very competent cameras. The most limiting factor, will be the user.

My background: I have had the Nikon in my hands, and I own the K-7.

My thoughts
It's pretty hard for me to come to a conclusion, since both camera's are great, but each shine at different areas. I think it all comes down to whether size is important. If you want a small camera with small lenses, then go for the K-7 and a stack of limiteds.

If you are fine with a large camera and lenses, go with the D300s. It's a really great camera. It beats the K-7 when it comes to ergonomics, usability and speed. But it's a small margin.

Kind regards

Thomas

02-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Great lens options (if you don't need the gaps in the Pentax's line up).
The gaps are mostly at the telephote range; Pentax has the wide to short tele pretty well covered in their fantastic range of primes.
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
The gaps are mostly at the telephote range; Pentax has the wide to short tele pretty well covered in their fantastic range of primes.
As fantastic as primes are, they have one big a$$ draw-back.... you need to change 'em every time you want to change the FL... Don't get me wrong, I love primes... But there's nothing I hate more than changing them every few minutes... And there's nothing worse then somebody's asking you to make a shot, but you're stuck with a stupid face because you've got the wrong prime mounted...

Primes have their place and time... for the rest, personally, I'd rather invest in quality zooms... which, b.t.w. Pentax doesn't have... Well, actually Pentax has some really great zooms with outstanding IQ... but on these, SDM's do tend to fall apart quite often for some reason...
02-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
As fantastic as primes are, they have one big a$$ draw-back.... you need to change 'em every time you want to change the FL... Don't get me wrong, I love primes... But there's nothing I hate more than changing them every few minutes... And there's nothing worse then somebody's asking you to make a shot, but you're stuck with a stupid face because you've got the wrong prime mounted...

Primes have their place and time... for the rest, personally, I'd rather invest in quality zooms... which, b.t.w. Pentax doesn't have... Well, actually Pentax has some really great zooms with outstanding IQ... but on these, SDM's do tend to fall apart quite often for some reason...
I believe an additional 1 or 2 bodies would help solve that problem.

02-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyway, back to the main subject- a picture can say it all. The photo of the K7, 300s and 7d together tells me what I pretty much need to know. Based on it the K7 wins hands down.
Hey, zenspector.

I just went through the K-7 / D300 / D300s thing myself. I've got eleven manual-focus Nikkors, ten of them prime, and . . . I went with the K-7. Which means my Nikkors will be up for sale somewhere soon. Most of them, anyway.

Most of the arguments for the Nikon (or Canon, which was never on my list--after all, I had Nikon glass) involved speed. Sports, weddings, photojournalism--sure, if that were what I shot, I'd have gone with a D300. I'd also have had at least a couple Nikon AF film bodies.

But I shoot portraits, macro, and landscape, and speed, be it AF or FPS, doesn't mean that much to me.

And I just couldn't get past the size difference in the D300 and the K-7.

So . . . my K-7 will be here tomorrow, with the kit 18-55 WR and the DA 70/2.4 Limited. I like primes, and there are a lot of Pentax primes (K, M, and A series) out that there for sale. And the newer AF stuff, too. Especially the Limiteds.

As for zooms, I've never had an SDM lens, but I've sure read about them here. While I like the idea of DA* lenses, I think I'd like to steer clear of SDM lenses. But it's the Limited range that interests me, anyway--that or the earlier, wonderful manual-focus stuff.

So it depends, I think, on what you want to do. I know the D300 is supposed to have wonderful ergonomics, but I just couldn't get over the bulk of the thing. Sounds as if that's one of your criteria, too. Just make sure it jibes with what you want to do with the camera, what you shoot.

As for me, I can't wait to see Eddie, our UPS guy, at our door tomorrow. . . .
02-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #39
Inactive Account

I know it has been discussed all over the web and even in this forum ,main point is that these cameras are in a different league .If you shoot concerts ,stage events and don't have money for a full frame D700 or even D3s than the D300 is the best alternative in APSC. I never shoot Jpeg only RAW so let's see :
K7-12 bit RAW
D300s- 14 bit RAW (a lot of useful information to get in RAW ,blown highlights...)
K7-Flash X-Sync: 1/180 sec
D300s- Flash X-Sync: 1/250 sec (up to 1/320 sec with reduced GN)
k7-77- metering-segment sensor (coupled with lens and AF information)
D300s-metering-TTL full-aperture exposure metering using 1005-pixel RGB sensor
K7-autofocus -11-point TTL Phase Difference detection sensor (SAFOX VIII+)
D300s-51 focus points (15 cross-type sensors)
K7-speed-5 fp/s
D300s-speed 7 fp/s
and ... a lot more color noise for the K7 when shooting RAW starting with ISO 1600
If you want similar image quality to the D300s at high ISO buy a Pentax KX ,in RAW image quality is the same (very close Sony Exmor sensor)

Last edited by ahilecostas; 02-07-2010 at 03:06 PM.
02-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ahilecostas Quote
I know it has been discussed all over the web and even in this forum ,main point is that these cameras are in a different league .If you shoot concerts ,stage events and don't have money for a full frame D700 or even D3s than the D300 is the best alternative in APSC. I never shoot Jpeg only RAW so let's see :
K7-12 bit RAW
D300s- 14 bit RAW (a lot of useful information to get in RAW ,blown highlights...)
K7-Flash X-Sync: 1/180 sec
D300s- Flash X-Sync: 1/250 sec (up to 1/320 sec with reduced GN)
k7-77- metering-segment sensor (coupled with lens and AF information)
D300s-metering-TTL full-aperture exposure metering using 1005-pixel RGB sensor
K7-autofocus -11-point TTL Phase Difference detection sensor (SAFOX VIII+)
D300s-51 focus points (15 cross-type sensors)
K7-speed-5 fp/s
D300s-speed 7 fp/s
and ... a lot more color noise for the K7 when shooting RAW starting with ISO 1600
If you want similar image quality to the D300s at high ISO buy a Pentax KX ,in RAW image quality is the same (very close Sony Exmor sensor)
do you have RAW samples coming from K-7, K-x and D300s for comparison?
02-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ahilecostas Quote
K7-speed-5 fp/s
D300s-speed 7 fp/s
Correction: If you want to zip by at 7fps in 14 bits you will have to consider a D3-series body (and maybe the D2h) as D300's framerate drops to 3fps at 14 bits... Nikon is true to it's policy where with a semi-pro body you get semi-pro features....