Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 02:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Why does my k20d flash twice when using trailing curtain sync?

Why does my k20d flash twice when using trailing curtain sync? The first flash doesn't seem to have any effect on the image but still, I wonder why it flashes at all. Do other brands do it the same way? I don't recall double flashing with my old 400d

01-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, that's how P-TTL works...
A first flash is made before the actual pic to meter the scene, then the "real" flash occurs while the sensor is exposed.

It's also the case in standard, "first curtain" mode, but the two bursts are really near instantaneous...
01-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Autofocus assist might be another cause (at least on my K10D). Never used rear curtain sync so not sure if it will behave different there.
01-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
A first flash is made before the actual pic to meter the scene, then the "real" flash occurs while the sensor is exposed.

It's also the case in standard, "first curtain" mode, but the two bursts are really near instantaneous...
Thank you very much for this answer. Is there a guide for P-TTL around here...the link about PTTL flashes takes me to a page with lots of external flashes. I'm more interrested in using the pop-up flash correctly

01-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

This is the reason....
01-28-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, unfortunately, the K10 and K20 P-TTL flash handling is really unpredictable, due to a strong sensitivity to reflection : as soon as you have a moderately reflective object in the scene, it will underexpose heavily...

You'd be better off with an off-board auto flash, or a manual one (not so difficult to handle once you went to Strobist.com and read the myriad of flash-related articles)...
01-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well, unfortunately, the K10 and K20 P-TTL flash handling is really unpredictable, due to a strong sensitivity to reflection : as soon as you have a moderately reflective object in the scene, it will underexpose heavily...

You'd be better off with an off-board auto flash, or a manual one (not so difficult to handle once you went to Strobist.com and read the myriad of flash-related articles)...
Thanx for the tip...I'll head there