Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K20D freezing, locking up - RESOLVED

Hello fellow Pentaxians

I'm writing this in response to a thread I posted earlier titled: PentaxForums.com > Pentax Cameras > Pentax DSLR Discussion > K20D freezing battery icon, frame number.

The short story is I reinstalled my workstation OS and the problem went away this saving me from sending in my camera to Pentax repair.

The long story is, it was related to shutting down or stopping services under the windows Service Manager that would have otherwise handled the mounting and unmounted of removable media on my computer.

The moral of this story is.. if you read posts like "increase performance and save memory by turning off unnecessary services" somewhere. Then do yourself a favor and don't!
I'm not discounting the advantages of doing this right, however... its far to easy to toggle services that would otherwise have dependencies with other areas of your systems operation(though not invoked at the time) and thus run into unnecessary problem down the road.

In my case, it almost cost me sending in a pair of K20D's in for repair because I thought they were affected by firmware updates. Turns out, it was entirely a windows dependent issue. One that I might add, seemed very much like a well known issue floating around the net(something to think about).

So... contrary to standard protocol on the internet, I thought I would post my findings in the hopes of helping someone else along the way.

Cheers!

Last edited by JohnBee; 01-28-2010 at 09:13 PM.