Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

12 - 24 mm square filter kits

I'm looking at getting square filter kits for my 12 - 24 mm Pentax lens. and i'm undecided about the filters to use.

Should i go for the P filter system (84mm) with the wide angle filter holder, or the Z pro at 100mm.

the filter price is putting me off the 100mm items, but i wanted to know what people are using and recommending.

Thanks

01-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use the Sigma 10-20, which is even wider than the Pentax 12-24 with the Cokin P system. I have made my own wide-angle holder, by simply cutting off the two first filter slots of the standard holder. That way I get a very slim P holder, which does not vignette, even at the 10mm setting of the lens.

The only drawback of the P system I found so far is, that it can only be adapted to lenses up to 82mm filter thread, which is just not enough for the Bigma or long, fast glass (300/2.8 etc.) But these are lenses, which I don't use with filters anyway...

Ben

Last edited by Ben_Edict; 01-28-2010 at 06:45 AM.
01-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nice one Ben, it's the vignetting that i'm worried about, but if you use the P system with 10mm then i can't see an issue with 12mm

many thank for a rapid reply, guess where i'm going now - involves money and camera shop..

i don't need to worry about large glass, because i don't have any... lol
01-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use a cokin P holder on my 16-50 and removed the last slot of the holder to prevent vignetting. It works great with my grads. The only problem I face - and I suspect you'd face the same problem with the 12-24mm is that when using a Polarizer that fits in the holder, the polarizer will vignette (in my case, I've got a couple of Singh-ray polarizers sized for the P holder). Vignetting occurs from about 16 to 20mm. The reason for this is the adapter ring and holder hold the polarizer far enough out from the lens that the filter blocks the corners. If the filter was closer to the lens, I wouldn't have this problem. I'd advise you to go up to a z pro holder if you're going to use polarizers.

If you do go with a P series holder and want to cut off the last slot or last two slots, the easiest way to do that that I've found is use a hammer and chisle. It makes a nice, clean, very precise cut and is infinately faster than messing around with a saw. It will take two cuts per side of each slot (one on the top of the slot & one at the bottom).

Cheers,

Andrew

02-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry that this is coming a couple of days late, but Cokin sells a wide angle P holder that is precisely what you're looking for. No cutting, sawing, or chiseling needed.
Amazon.com: Cokin BPW700 Filter Holder, P Series, Wide Angle: Camera & Photo
02-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
Sorry that this is coming a couple of days late, but Cokin sells a wide angle P holder that is precisely what you're looking for. No cutting, sawing, or chiseling needed.
Amazon.com: Cokin BPW700 Filter Holder, P Series, Wide Angle: Camera & Photo
That's what the TO already mentioned in his first post.

Ben