Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #1

Sensor Cleaning Tools

Hi Gang:

Has anyone here used the Lenspen SensorKlear or the Speckgrabber (Kinetronics) to remove dust from the K10D sensor? I did see one negative post regarding the Lenspen and one referring to the Speckgrabber but I wonder if anyone else has used either of these tools.

Richard

06-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the Speckgrabber when I need it, and what can I say other than it works at an affordable price.

The camera shop where I bought it from showed me how to use it, and I keep it with me all the time.

I think that everyone should have something along the same lines kept in their kit.
06-26-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 0-ICK1 (Pentax Imagesensor Cleaning Kit) that is only available in like Japan and China, of something like that. I got it on Ebay. Freakin fantastic. Easy to use, reusable, and supported by the Pentax warranty because it is what they use when you ship the camera to them. I have cleaned my K10 and my Dad's K100 each once. No problem.
06-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I have the 0-ICK1 (Pentax Imagesensor Cleaning Kit) that is only available in like Japan and China, of something like that. I got it on Ebay. Freakin fantastic. Easy to use, reusable, and supported by the Pentax warranty because it is what they use when you ship the camera to them. I have cleaned my K10 and my Dad's K100 each once. No problem.
Did the O-ICK1 come with instructions in English? I see a place in Malaysia that will ship it to the USA.

Richard

06-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The Pentax sensor cleaning tool is great. It is available in the US. Have it at the store. Any US dealer can order it. The instructions are also in english. Use blower first. If that doesn't work use Pentax tool.
thanks
barondla
06-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The Pentax sensor cleaning tool is great. It is available in the US. Have it at the store. Any US dealer can order it. The instructions are also in english. Use blower first. If that doesn't work use Pentax tool.
thanks
barondla
I pre-ordered it from Henry's in Canada. They don't have it in stock yet but they don't charge your credit card until they ship, unlike B&H. B&H makes no mention of the Pentax tool on their website. I don't know about other dealers in the US. I did a Google search and the only dealers that turned up were Henry's and some place in Malaysia.

Richard
06-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
thanks
barondla
OK, what store?

As I can't find it at a us seller either and would like something to supplement my rocket blower.
06-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Forum Member

I bought an Artic Butterfly to clean my sensor. It's worked fine but I've read reports of the brush flying off when you 'charge' it.

Certainly don't want to be cleaning your sensor with a brush that lands somewhere nasty.

Just a warning to anyone who might be considering that product.

06-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote

This the one? OFFICIAL Pentax O-ICK1
06-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter

That looks like it. It is a neat design. The stick has a mark on it to let you know how far it is sticking into the mirror box. The urethane tip is lightly pressed against the sensor (not brushed or dragged) and then lifted up out of the camera. Then press tip against the supplied white cleaning sheet to rid tip of dirt. Then repeat for next spec if needed. Like the fact that theres no chemicals involved.
Sell them at our store. Aren't set up for mail orders. I get to order stock so always looking out for neat useful items like this. Would be very leary of the sensor pen.
thanks
barondla
06-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, Buddha, that is the one.

I could't find it in the US, but wherever you can get it just get it. Easy to use the very effective.
06-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #12

arctic butterfly works for me

I can't really say yet if it's good or bad, long-term, but my arctic butterfly has removed quite a few dust specks for me over the last few months.

I'll agree with Mr. Wallace, if my brush flies off, I won't touch my sensor with it again, but so far, it's stayed attached and sometimes I don't even touch the sensor before I see the dust just fly off and stick into the brush.

1 or 2 specks aren't any kind of post-process nightmare (assuming you do that kind of thing), but if you know you are likely to do something with a particular shoot, it's nice to know you're not going to have to remove a few spots from every shot.

I've only used it 3 times over the 3 months I've had it, but for that, my arctic butterfly has been working great.

-Chris
06-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Wallace Quote
I bought an Artic Butterfly to clean my sensor. It's worked fine but I've read reports of the brush flying off when you 'charge' it.

Certainly don't want to be cleaning your sensor with a brush that lands somewhere nasty.

Just a warning to anyone who might be considering that product.
I read somewhere that you "spin" the brush to "charge" it but NOT while touching it to the sensor. So I don't see how it would fly off dangerously. Maybe I'm missing something here. Here's a link to where I read this:

http://www.atphototech.se/visibledust/pdf/arctic_butterfly.pdf

Richard