Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Focusing screen for K-m

I was just turned onto focusingscreen.com and was relieved to see models that were significantly cheaper than the Katzeye screen I've been looking at. Does anyone have any experience with this site or the cheaper screens (FSB, FSX)? I need a focusing screen ASAP and I didn't know if there's really that much tech that goes into a screen or the Katzeye ones are just over priced.

Input is appreciated!

01-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasquatch Quote
I was just turned onto focusingscreen.com and was relieved to see models that were significantly cheaper than the Katzeye screen I've been looking at. Does anyone have any experience with this site or the cheaper screens (FSB, FSX)? I need a focusing screen ASAP and I didn't know if there's really that much tech that goes into a screen or the Katzeye ones are just over priced.

Input is appreciated!
if all of your lenses are of at least F2.8 and better you will do very well with FSB/FSX type of screens, they are more crude matte/microprism-wise, but if the split prism is what's important you will be OK... they will be OK even with F4 lenses... darkening is not significant... however if you have something like 600/f8 you might want to consider better options... if you will go for K3 based screen - get it w/ grid lines from focusingscreen.com, they will be very helpful.
01-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I was told to stay well clear due to metering issues. The person that told me is an engineer representing US$100,000+ lenses, so was inclined to believe him. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome any thoughts to the contrary, or work-arounds. I'd love further control over fast lenses when wide open.
01-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I was told to stay well clear due to metering issues.
more or less serious issues are either with a spot metering (center spot) or if you are using metering with slow lenses or when lenses are stopped down... fast (or at least <=f4) lenses and metered not stopped down (to like f8+) and not using spot metering should not have serious issues...

01-31-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice.
02-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Went with an FSB w/grid lines from focusingscreen.com. Ran me about $60 shipped to the continental US.