Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 04:00 AM   #1

K-x eyecup

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everyone

I'm getting to know my new k-x and love it so far. That is all except the viewfinder, in particular the rubber/plastic "eyecup" surround.

I find it rather hard, uncomfortable, too shallow and seems to let lots of light in, causing viewfinder glare.

Does anyone know of a good alternative? I'm not looking for a magnifying viewfinder but an eyecup with a bit more "give" and perhaps a bit deeper.

I'm not sure if eyecups designed for other Pentax cameras (digital and film) would fit?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

02-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #2

Let me know if you have found one I would like to get a replacement as well.
02-07-2010, 04:46 AM   #3

yes, i find it quite uncomfortable, and painful in the eyebrow. It also seems to let some light through causing glare.

how about the Pentax 1.2x magnifier? i heard it blurs out the viewfinder info, will i have trouble manual focusing with it?
02-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #4

you'll find manual focusing easier, but you have to shift your eye around in order to see the LCD info at the bottom of the viewfinder.

02-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #5

I have the same problem. The eyecup lets in lots of light and, in sunny days, it renders the camera settings unreadable.

Do any of you have problems reading the settings in the bottom on sunny days?

Last edited by Toro; 02-07-2010 at 02:15 PM.
02-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
agreed... the eyecup is lacking in the ability to really close out the ambient light to get a good view of the readout... i don't think there is any way to boost the intensity of the display...
i would like an aftermarket eyecup (which seems to be available for most pentax dlsr models, except the k-x).... is there someone who is handy in the forum willing to take the challenge and craft an eyecup for the k-x??????
there could be BIG money in it... lol.......
i know pentax left out a few good things in making the k-x affordable... but this just seems to be poor thought/design....... still a wonderful little dslr..... many pluses, i feel badly for my k200d... it just sits in a corner pouting..... dave m
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #7

I wear glasses so i guess the 'hurting eye brow' thing isn't a problem. I did find that the cup created smudges on my glasses and my nose created smudges on the LCD. I tried shooting by not holding my eye so close and it did seem better.

In fact by holding it away a bit I could actually track flying birds easier. Maybe its because I keep both eyes open anyways (to avoid that one-eye blindness) I was using both eyes to keep an eye on things. The view finder was kinda like cross hairs while continuous shooting.

Weird i know...

02-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the kx and the )-ME53 magnifying eyepiece. On my camera with my glasses the viewfinder info is not blurred. Also the eyecup is set further back which helps with the "nose on LCD" problem, rubber surround is also deeper and much softer than the standard issue. Price is around $28 and a bargain at that.
02-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #9

telfish, since you have the O-ME53, could you tell me if the magnifying lens in it is removable? I looks like 4 screws hold it in, so I wonder if it could be removed for those that only want the benefit of the nicer eyecup and not the magnification.
02-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
telfish, since you have the O-ME53, could you tell me if the magnifying lens in it is removable? I looks like 4 screws hold it in, so I wonder if it could be removed for those that only want the benefit of the nicer eyecup and not the magnification.
I just took the O-ME53 off my K20D. I wear eyeglasses and found that I wasn't able to see the entire VF with the Magnifier on.

I may take a look at mine and see if the glass is removeable. I like the additional cushion of the O-ME53 as well.

More at 11

Ed
02-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Try this.

eBay Seller: jiakgong: Cameras Photo, Electronics items on eBay.com

Mickey
02-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought one of these. The cup will swivel to adjust it .
Now I've got less smear on my screen from the zits on my nose too.

Eyecup Eye Cup for NIKON D300 D200 D80 D70 D60 D50 D40 - eBay (item 330401414099 end time Mar-05-10 00:40:06 PST)

It sits out from the view finder a bit too far for a good look inside using the adapter, so I'm going to trim the eyecup bezel so that it fits straight on without an adapter. Should be just right then.

Chromo

Last edited by chromo; 02-18-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Cos I'm forgetful
02-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Not sure if the glas is removable. I will unscrew it when I get a chance and let you know.
02-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Not sure if the glas is removable. I will unscrew it when I get a chance and let you know.
It should be removable.
I just got an idea to experiment and probably change the magnification..hmmm..
02-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok I tried to remove the screws, those suckers are well in there and just will not budge. It looks like they are cemented in. By the look of it if you could get the screws out the glass lens would just fall out.

The only problem of this magnnifier both on the K20 and KX is that it prevents you having a full view of the viewfinder certainly when wearing glasses. Not sure how it would be for people without glasses. I have become used to moching around the finder. It's a little better on the KX for some reason.