Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[K10D] Red focusing squares

Got my K10D back from a service. When focusing, it looks like the little red focus confirmation square has some ghosts behind it (giving some kind of 3D picture of three squares behind each other). I can not remember that I had that before. This happens on all lenses that I've tried (18-55mm AL II, 55-300mm, FA31 and on a DA35/2.8 macro that I tested in a shop) in daylight and in the dark (AF assist of 540 flash in combination with 55-300mm).

Can somebody confirm that there is indeed only one outline of a square on a 'good' K10D as focus confirmation? Previous SW was 1.0, updated during service to 1.30.
Suspected: incorrect service or something funny in the 1.30 software

I've only tried on center focus (spot and select) as I'm currently to frustrated with K10D and FA31 and want to throw the whole bunch in the river and go back to my Minolta X700 and manual focus. But that's another story and I'm sure it will eventually be sorted.

01-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't imagine this is the result of a firmware change--there are a set of tiny little LED's that provide this illumination so there's no way that firmware would add more.

This sounds a little unusual but my guess is that the effect is caused optically--things I would consider:

- is the viewfinder diopter correctly adjusted for your eyesight?
- Does it always look that way or only in certain lighting or at certain angles?
- Is anything else not as expected?

Beyond these it does seem a little odd, like they're showing brighter than normal and there are some reflections. Possibly a focusing screen alignment issue?
01-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Solved

Indeed, diopter. Did not expect that as it did not look like blur. Blur, for me, would blur all lines of the square, not one side more than the other.

Thanks a lot.