Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K7 problem

I wish someone lived by me that had a Pentax K7 so I could let them try my Sigma 100-300 f4 lens on there K7, I have no clue what to do, I tryed different setting inside the camera but it just won't lock focus in the "A" position on the lens apature, unless it's in Live View mode on the camera. If I call the place I bought the camera from by sunday they will replace it because it's only been 10 days since I got it.
The lens worked fine on my K20d and on my K100d.
The lens is still under warrenty till Oct. 2010.
Any Ideas?

01-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The most obvious - try cleaning the contacts on the lens... How about other lenses? Do they work properly on K7?
01-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #3

I tot you solved the problem, as you mentioned in another forum? The aperture level was in f32, instead of A?
01-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K7 thinks it's in f32 even though it's in "A" and it works fine on the K100d.

01-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I play with the apature ring on the lens it will work ok, but if I take the lens back off and put it back on with the lens in "A" it looks dark thru the viewfinder like its in f32 but If I play with the ring (unlock and turn) it will start working ok again. Since I have no problem on my K100d I would think its the mount in the camera thats screwed up.
????
01-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
If I play with the apature ring on the lens it will work ok, but if I take the lens back off and put it back on with the lens in "A" it looks dark thru the viewfinder like its in f32 but If I play with the ring (unlock and turn) it will start working ok again. Since I have no problem on my K100d I would think its the mount in the camera thats screwed up.
????
Actually it might be wrong both ways.... I'd visit the place where you've got the camera and try the lens on another sample of K7... is it works out, change the camera... if not... it's the lens that is to blame...

And perhaps, if you have another A or AF lens with the aperture ring, try it on K7 if this one will work adequately or not...
01-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Sigma 105 f2.8 w/apture ring seems to work ok. I bought the lens on-line and the camera.

01-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FI Gulfer,

Sorry to hear about the lens issue. I would it expect it is neither the cameras fault, nor the lenses fault, but is a result of that lens model on that camera model.

Sigma (as well as Tamron etc) do not make their lenses under liscence with the OEMs. So Pentax and other are under no obligation to keep their cameras mount interface working with older Sigma products. The result is one minor update to the mount, and older non-pentax lenses might stop working.

I would contact Sigma and see if there is an update or a fix for the lens. I have read that some people have had to have their lens re-chiped to work with newer bodies. As I don't know wher I read this, I might just be spreading internet fueled FUD here, so take it with a grain or two of salt.
01-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K7 is in for a circuit board replacement. the focus was out of whack on long distance shots but ok close up. If there is a K7 dealer nearby, trying the lens with another body is your best bet. if not, return it for a replacement, today.
01-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Fl_Gulfer,

Sounds almost like what I just experienced with my new 180 macro. The aperture lever on the lens was bent inward and didn't engage the lever in the camera correctly on initial mounting of the lens, but would engage it if I fully rotated the aperture ring and returned to "A". Once straightened so is was centered in its slot, the lens worked fine.

Scott
01-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll tell you Scott you seem the closest to what is going on. Since the Camera is only a week old and they will send me a new one without issue I'm going to try that first, then I'll send the lens if the camera is not at fault, but I do think it has something to do with what you are saying.
I know there are other people that have the Sigma 100-300 f4 and a K7 and they haven't complained, But your lens is a little larger than most so it could be the lens.