Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am cursed!

I just got a new lens in today, the Vivitar S1 70-210mm. So I slap it on the K110D since my K10D is still in the shop. I take a few snaps outside then I come in to put the 2x TC on and see what kinda results I get.

I turn the camera off and go to put the TC on the lens, but it wont mount for some reason, I try different lens and it wont mount on it either, WTF! So I try and mount the TC onto the camera and it goes on fine, but still wont accept a lens. To avoid getting really upset I just go to put the lens back onto the camera and take some more test shots.

NOW MY CAMERA ISN'T WORKING!!!

Every button or dial control I press snaps the shutter but doesnt take a picture, and the shutter button doenst take a picture any more either. If I turn the dial for the different priority settings the shutter snaps. If I go into review pictures the shutter snaps every time I advance a photo or use the dial to zoom in.

Even when I turnit off, it snaps one last one before it powers off. What the bloody hell is going on!!!!

06-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Uhh, i'm really sorry to hear that..

that's realy awkward
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest batteries out, leave them out, insert fully charged ones after a pause, and try again. (But it sounds like the board is fried.)
06-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
sft

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote

Even when I turnit off, it snaps one last one before it powers off. What the bloody hell is going on!!!!
LOL - even though its not funny for you, your wording just made me laugh. Hey look on the bright side - youll never miss a shot!

In all seriousness though that is very strange - and unfortunate I must add - sounds like something snapped with the electronics. If its under warranty send it in and get it repaired - sucks that youve got 2 cameras in for repair though - some are truly just unlucky I guess. Or in your case - cursed!

06-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you checked inside the actual camera mount to see if the TC or the Vivitar has damaged any of the electrical contacts? I dont have a blue print for the k110 but maybe one of the contacts needs a push or pull? What make was your TC?
06-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #6

Buddha, this reply will not help your situation much, but here goes:

1. It certainly sounds like the electronics have been zapped

2. Be thankful it wasn't the K10D

3. Perhaps you should switch to a safer hobby - say, knitting or something
06-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisman Quote
Buddha, this reply will not help your situation much, but here goes:

1. It certainly sounds like the electronics have been zapped

2. Be thankful it wasn't the K10D

3. Perhaps you should switch to a safer hobby - say, knitting or something
Chris-

Are you crazy, man?? Do you know how big those knitting needles are?? Here in the USA, that'll earn you an extra inspection at the airport security line should you have that lethal weapon in your possession.

With all due respect to your crappy situation Buddha, I wish I could offer something that could cure what ills your K110D.
06-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #8

yeah, try the remove batteries, go have a drink, push all the buttons, then insert fres batteries and try again.

optionally cleans the lens mount as well, maybe the TC had oil or some conducting material on it?

06-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Buddha; Sounds like a shitty situation. A few questions if you don't mind.
First thing is do you have one situation going on or two.So~~> Have you inspected the x2 converter lens to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it ? I wonder if something snapped in the tc that shorted out the camera when you mounted the converter. Did you turn on the camera when the converter was on it ? Did you have any trouble putting the lens on after you took off the converter ?
Did the converter work before today ?
I just wonder if the two are a coincedent or related.
I know that this may not sound helpfull but it will help to focus in on the problem or at least what the problem may be.
Kenn
06-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a bummer Buddha, I had my k10d for a month when the flash died and messed up the circuitry. On the bright side if you get a warranty repair I think you'll get another year of warranty on the camera.
06-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Buddha,
I feel for ya man, I feel for ya. If you try the remove the battery trick, leave them out overnight before reinstalling them. Also, put fresh Li Ions in after the overnight power down.

Hope something works for you.
06-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

ouch! I don't have any solutions for you, Buddha - other than what stated above - let it sit without batteries for a little, and try again.

I've completely shorted radio controlled cars driving them through puddles when I was a kid, only to have them return to life after they dried out - I shorted out my brother's first computer monitor back maybe around 1990 by (accidentally) pouring water down the air slots in the back (long story) and it magically came to life again after a few hours...

good luck to you, at any rate.
-Dan
06-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Good grief, Bubba. Between this, your K10D in the shop, and your recent hassles with Trader Jim, I'm beginning to think you have the worst luck of anyone I've seen.

Anyway, if you haven't do so already, check the lens mount to make sure something isn't shorting out one of the electrical contacts. Check the electrical contacts on the lenses also. In fact, while you're at it, look over any other electrical contacts as well (flash mount, etc).

And, while you're doing that, glance around inside the lens mount area to make sure something hasn't fell inside to interfere with something else.

Next, look over the camera to make sure one of the buttons didn't get pressed and stuck in place while you were handling the camera during the various lens changes.

Obviously, as several others here have already suggested, remove the batteries for a few hours to see if the camera will reset itself.

Finally, find yourself a good witch doctor to remove the curse on you and/or your equipment. If you like dancing around with chicken bones around your neck, with spear in hand, and can find a few incantations on the internet, this could be a DIY job, but I would recommend a professional. Of course, if you decide on the DIY route, don't forget to post pictures as I darn sure want to see that.

stewart
06-27-2007, 11:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I got nothing man hehe... maybe some higher up is deterring you from taking any more pictures?

Got a cellphone that malfunctioned when I dropped it in a puddle, after drying it out without the batteries, it worked just fine. Hopefully that's all it'll take with your camera!

Cheers!
06-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys are the greatest, really. And you know what the kicker is, yesterday was my birthday, how bout them apples? I have come to conclude that this June was not the month for me.

Yesterday I go offered to buy the lens that I am lusting for more than any other, the Tam 28-75 f2.8 for a really good price, but I can't justify buying it because;
1. I dont have a camera to use it with
2. I am about to drop 4+ grand on a car cuz I was in an accident a couple weeks ago and my baby was totaled.

But you know what, I don't sweat the small stuff because I am alive, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I am surrounded by friends and family who love me. For all of that I thank the Lord. What else could I possibly want out of life.

Except for maybe just ONE of my TWO cameras to be working at the same time.