Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #1

K200D - Need Help!

I bought my K200D about 2 years ago, and I have been very happy with it. This camera is my first serious machine, as I had previously only been using point and shoots.

Recently, my K200D has been malfunctioning in a way I don't understand. I load in a set of fully charged batteries (Energizer NiMH 2300maH rechargeable), and switch the camera on. After a few seconds, the LCD panel shows a fully charged battery, but no other indicators are active. If I press the shutter, the camera sounds as though it is taking a photo, but there is no other indication it is working (e.g. there is no preview on the LCD as per the settings I have active on last successful use). If I connect the camera to my computer with the USB cable, neither the camera nor my computer recognize the connection.

I am completely at a loss for solutions.

Has anyone else ever had - or heard of - this kind of a problem?

Thanks for any advice!

01-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd start by ruling out a battery problem (those are not particularly high quality cells, and who knows how old they are). Are you saying the menu button doesn't work, either?
01-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto what Marc said, eliminate the batteries as the problem source, suggest buying a pack of Energiser Lithiums or Sanyo Eneloops.

If the problem still exists replace your SD card as a precaution.

Then try the re-set function in the set up menu.

If none of that yields a result....find your nearest Pentax service centre.
01-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would throw the batteries immediately and replace with the Eneloops ASAP.

01-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
The batteries I am using - although perhaps not high quality - have been bought within the last month. I have also tried brand new alkaline batteries.

I understand that there are known issues with the batteries used by the K200D. I would hazard a guess that 90% of the troubleshooting I've found online has dealt with batteries dying too quickly or not showing a full charge despite being new.

Those are not the problems I am experiencing.

The problem I am having is that despite the batteries being fully charged and the meter showing them as fully charged, the camera is not functioning. I am unable to access any menus, and none of the buttons elicit a response on the LCD screen (which remains black as if turned off), the LCD panel by the shutter switch (which only shows the fully charged battery meter), or in the reticule.
01-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IJCoolen Quote
I've tried some new alkaline batteries as well.
Alkalines are not *supposed* to work - your manual and any of a hundreds threads on this topic here will tell you that.

QuoteQuote:
The batteries I mentioned were bought within the last month.
Maybe so, but who knows how long they had been sitting around before you bought them.

Anyhow, it probably isn't the batteries, but still, right now, that's obvious thing to try. you basically haven't tried any known good batteries, and bad batteries *can* cause weird behavior, so you might as well find out. Worst that happens is you spend $10 on a set of good batteries that will serve you well for years to come.
02-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
Those are all good points. I'll try some new batteries and see what happens.

As you say, worst case scenario, my camera still will not work and I'll have some good batteries to use with it once it does.
02-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Batteries

Rechargable's life are finite, if charge time has significantly decreased,odds are, cells
are at the end of their "life"
Maybe try a local shop,ask for demo of K200 power supply, w.o. batteries in body.
instead of first buying new cells,elimnate a varible.

Last edited by BillM; 02-02-2010 at 06:08 PM.
02-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
Inactive Account

i see that you are from canada, i use President's Choice (PC) 2000 mAh rechargeable NiMH AA batteries. i am pretty sure that they are rebranded sanyo enloops i have 3 sets of the PC and 1 set of the enloops and preformance wise i can not tell them apart. i just used a set of PC batteries that were stored for about 3 months and i still got atleast 600+ pics(i have a K200d). the batteries are 12.99 for 4 or 24.99 with the 4 batteries with charger.
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #10

I (K200D) and my Son (White K2000) run Rayovac Hybrid NiMH, it's their version of the Eneloop. Mine sits in my Car all day and always works when I need it. Get months between charges.

Also have some Sony 2800mah NiMH, but they do not hold their charge worth a darn, just work well freshly charged.....

More important then the batteries is the charger. Look for one that charges each cell on its own, most do not so when the first cell reaches its charge it stops charging.
02-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Alkalines are not *supposed* to work - your manual and any of a hundreds threads on this topic here will tell you that.
Not sure if there is a difference between a K100D and a K200D, but the K100D manual clearly states that alkalines are 'allowed'.

EDIT: Never mind, just found
Code:
AA alkaline batteries
Provided with the camera. These are easily obtainable
when your usual batteries run out but they may not support
all the camera functions under certain conditions. We do
not recommend their use except in emergencies and
checking the camera's functionality.
02-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #12

K200D Comes with Energizer Lithium AA Batteries. So that it was what it recommends you use with the camera. They last a good long time too.
02-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #13

Since I bought mine almost 2 years ago, I've bought 1 set of Sony's Hybrids and 2 sets of Rayovac Hybrids.....if I used Energizer Lithiums (still keep the originals in my Bag as back-ups and have used them a couple times) since then I'd be out a lot more cash and not doing the environment any favors....