Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #1

how to bracket exposure time?

Sorry, it is probably a stupid question, but I cannot find the function in the K20s menu. May be someone could help me out? Playing with HDR here...

I would like to shoot in M mode and bracket the exposure time. Yet, every time I do this, also the aperture changes. How can I prevent this? Is the Av mode my only option?

Thanks!

U

01-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Look on page 92 of your manual if you have it handy. In the custom setting menu you set the adjustment method for green button operation. You want to set it to adjust Tv
I'm pretty sure that the two are linked.
01-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

To auto bracket with the K20d, you have to hod down the button on the upper left "corner" (that word is used loosely here) on the back of the camera and the front e-dial is used to decide between three or five frames, and the rear e-dial controls the EV steps. Unfortunately, in manual mode, you have no control on what parameters the camera will change, so you should do everything manually. Actually, in manual mode, you can pretty much figure what parameter will change according to the program line you set your camera. It gets dicey when you are near a point where the camera decides to change another adjustment to compensate for something like camera shake, or reaching a point where a lens would be wide open and it would need to go even further. I hope this makes some sense to you.
02-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank's a lot! Will give it a try later today. I did not turn much atention to it before, when doing usual HDR photos, but tried to make kind of a HDR panorama and move the camera horizontally. Here it decided to change both, the aperture and shutter speed. Needless to say that it became almost impossible to stitch these photos together.

Thanks!

U

02-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For HDR I personally use Av mode and AE-L, using Exp. Comp. to move my full bracket set up or down a few stops. What sticks me about the Pentax implementation is that the meter has to be "tricked" to get it to do what you want (bracket only by shutter speed, and consistently - so AE-L and matrix metering through an expodisc).

Oh, and I'd like a *real* MLU with the AEB so that the mirror goes up, the shutter trips 3 or 5 times, then the mirror goes back down. F-ing 2 second between brackets for MLU!?