Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 70 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #556
Forum Member

First shots with K-x

I just got my K-x a couple days ago and I am continually impressed by the capabilities of this monster, especially in low light. I have never really gotten into photography myself before, so this is my very first trial at it. I used a few different lenses for these, mostly the 50mm f1.7 and the 50-200mm. Like I said, these are from my first day shooting so be gentle.

Flickr: BrandonBPM's Photostream

And here is a self-portrait I did today. I am still learning so much and I look forward in improving my skills and embracing my creativity.

Attached Images

04-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #557
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of my first shots with the k-x and DA 55-300....
Attached Images

04-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #558
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-x is an amazing little camera.

Quarto Minguante por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

Calango por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

Trepadeira por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

Jack por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

Fungi por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

Quati por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr
04-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #559
Veteran Member

love my k-x

04-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #560

This is Blue - My friend's year and a half old blue/red nose pit-bull mix.
I held a stick up the the air next to my camera so he would look towards me, and got the shot with one hand.

Also seen in the DA* club.

04-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #561

QuoteOriginally posted by emetcalf Quote
Frostie, I have to ask is that a snake behind the leaves?
Snake?!? Nope! I would have been running out of there screaming like a little girl!!!! Most snakes out here are Diamond Back Rattlers. We have an occasional King Snake (they eat rattlers, you know!). I think the area you are seeing is just dried leaves. I hope!! Guess I better be careful since the rose garden is horribly overgrown. You may have just saved me from a future bite! hee hee hee. Thanks!
04-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #562

Amazing pictures, hcarvalhoalves! My husband and I are both wondering...on the picture of the moon, what lens did you use and what were your settings? We've been trying to capture it. While our pictures are ok, they are not stunning, like yours, showing so much texture and detail. We are getting closer, but we are not there yet. The moon is hard to get! It moves....

By the way, we really like your dog! And the Quati looks like a really interesting creature. He looks happy and cuddly, but I somehow bet he's not!!

04-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #563

And amazing shot (of the bald eagle), photolady! Talk about being in the right place at the right time. We have much wildlife where we are at, such as Golden Eagle, Red Tail Hawks and Buzzards. Most times, they just post on a telephone pole. Just gotta watch for that "special" shot.

Reminds me of a number of years ago. I was riding my horse, Sonora, out in the desert. We got into a rocky area. As we rounded the corner, there was a "Buzzard convention". So many, that you couldn't count them. They were perched on the dirt, going up the rocks and a few just lazily circling above the group. We were so close, you could reach out and touch them. That was before I got into photography...it's a shame too! Would have made for an awesome picture!!
04-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #564
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frostie Quote
Amazing pictures, hcarvalhoalves! My husband and I are both wondering...on the picture of the moon, what lens did you use and what were your settings? We've been trying to capture it. While our pictures are ok, they are not stunning, like yours, showing so much texture and detail. We are getting closer, but we are not there yet. The moon is hard to get! It moves....
I used a FA 100-300mm, handheld. I found that the secret to moon shots is using M mode (automatic exposure will get it wrong and just render a white blob), setting the aperture to the sharpest for your particular lens (f/8 in my case), low ISO, fast shutter and experiment a lot. I also shot in RAW and underexposing a bit, just enough to not blow the highlights, then later I bumped the exposure in software (Apple's Aperture). That gives you room in post-processing for making the image "sharp".

It also helps taking the photo in cold and dry days, so the atmosphere is clear and the moon doesn't come out blurry. Try to take the pic when the moon is high on the sky, too, to avoid the thick atmosphere refracting the light.

You can check the EXIF data on Flickr (Exif | Quarto Minguante | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) for more details.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frostie Quote
By the way, we really like your dog! And the Quati looks like a really interesting creature. He looks happy and cuddly, but I somehow bet he's not!!
Thanks. That dog is really photogenic, love the looks he gives to the camera! And the Quati is like a brazilian Raccoon, curious but quite afraid of humans. I just managed to get that shoot because I had the 100-300 on and he was nosing around
04-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #565
Veteran Member

Here are a couple shots taken with my KX - the KX suits me well in DC, i strap it on my back (the smaller size of the KX is nice for this), get out the skateboard and skate through downtown and snap pics. Not only do I get pics throughout the city, I also get a great workout too

Picture 1: Taken at the National Zoo
Picture 2: Jefferson Memorial, 2am Shot to get the great water reflection
Picture 3: Taken in China Town from the street, through the chefs window
Attached Images

04-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #566
Veteran Member

And here is another shot from my KX - this one was at the SW Seafood Warf in DC.

Use my 50mm Rikenon P 1.7
Attached Images

04-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #567
Inactive Account

You can see the green around his eyes he is starting to change, this next one is a few seconds later.
04-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #568

Great Swamp NJ

Here's a few of my K-X favs recently shot with the DA 55-300mm at the Great Swamp in NJ.

Frog sunbathing on the path

Snake in tree

Bullfrog

Enjoy.

Last edited by lago_b; 04-25-2011 at 08:15 PM.
04-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #569

What did you use for the moon shot? I only ever get a white blur when I try.
04-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #570
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
love my k-x

Amazing....Like this. What lens do you used?
so bright.