Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #91
Inactive Account

kxuser
I love the subway car shot! Whatever effect you used (HDR or something) worked really well there too.

02-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #92
Forum Member

Thanks! I actually didn't use the in camera HDR for any of those three. I used auto-bracketed exposures and tone mapped them in Photomatix. The in camera HDR is pretty fun, but I find that I can't really get the image that I want using it. I did a comparison here on my blog.
02-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #93
Site Supporter

Henri, is that you??????
02-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #94

These 4 pics are my favorite pics taken with my beloved KX.

1) Colours

2) Colourful Pandas

3) Hmm..which should I buy?

4) Chinese New Year flowers

Last edited by aaronius; 02-22-2010 at 10:15 PM.
02-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #95
Inactive Account

some really nice pictures
02-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Nice shots in the Seattle Transit Tunnel.

I agree about the AWB - it does get fooled once in a while - but it is still really, really good (compared to my K100D).

Did you by any chance take those shots with RAW+JPG?
If so, what did the JPGs look like - in particular the mural?
Thanks They've put up so much art along the Light Rail line, I really enjoy it.

I took quite a few shots RAW+JPG and at the settings I had I found them to be too saturated and contrast cranked too high - but the settings weren't at median (I was messing with them and then forgot to reset them when I took my photos that day). I'll need to do another set to make up my mind about them - but one thing is for sure, they were much more lively than the K10 jpg conversion. The K10 jpg conversions were so lifeless I never used them.

Several of us should post our RAW+JPG shots - take a look at the overview
02-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #97
Igilligan

Kx Color

I am liking the colors of the Kx... a little cooler than the K20, but man they can pop!

I posted these in their own thread but I am sticking them here because I just love the colors.

02-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #98

Photos: Albums
one of my favorites:

02-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #99
Inactive Account

my nephews

i love these little boys to death
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #100

Sample shot lol, newbie here. iso1600
View Picture EXIF
Name:  Pkx.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  407.5 KB

Last edited by Camgen; 02-23-2010 at 09:15 PM.
02-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #101

One of my first attempts with the Auto Rikenon 55mm f/1.4 shot wide open:

02-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
One of my first attempts with the Auto Rikenon 55mm f/1.4 shot wide open:

Oh what a GORGEOUS dog! I miss my German Shepherd so much - your dog has such a lovely sweet face it twangs at my heart strings
02-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #103
Veteran Member

My current favorite from the K-x - Hard to get candids of this child - he's usually a ham :P 50-200mm, 95mm, f/5.6, 1/100s, ISO 1600. PP in Elements with BW grain effect.

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Nice shots in the Seattle Transit Tunnel.

I agree about the AWB - it does get fooled once in a while - but it is still really, really good (compared to my K100D).

Did you by any chance take those shots with RAW+JPG?
If so, what did the JPGs look like - in particular the mural?
I thought about your question today when I stepped outside to grab a pic of a rainbow and took a few more shots while I was in RAW+JPG mode. I made sure all the in-camera settings were at neutral (for saturation, contrast etc). It's not as obvious at this size, but at full size it's easy to see that the in-camera JPG conversion bumps up contrast, adds some green (to almost every photo) and washes down the reds a bit. Some times it works for me - outdoor shots in even light I like it. For human faces I don't (see below). Sometimes it's very smart about highlights - check out the moon below...of course in order to do that it darkened the sky too much, but hey Since Picasa allows me to show both, here you go:

RAW:

JPG:

RAW:

JPG:

RAW:

JPG:
02-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #104

Awesome thread!
02-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
while I was in RAW+JPG mode. I made sure all the in-camera settings were at neutral (for saturation, contrast etc). It's not as obvious at this size, but at full size it's easy to see that the in-camera JPG conversion bumps up contrast, adds some green (to almost every photo) and washes down the reds a bit. Some times it works for me - outdoor shots in even light I like it. For human faces I don't (see below). Sometimes it's very smart about highlights - check out the moon below...of course in order to do that it darkened the sky too much, but hey
Thank you so much for taking the time.

This is kind of what I have found - there are times when RAW seems better and others JPG - it's 50-50.

Of course one has good flexibility in adjusting/correcting color and tint/hue in RAW,
but to a perhaps lesser extent in JPG too.

However in theory one's RAW processing S/W should give basically the same rendition on conversion as the paired JPG -
that is if the RAW processor is working properly and converts to the same settings as the in camera JPG engine
- if there is any difference - it means that the RAW processor may not be able to take all the camera settings into consideration.

There are times when even RAW is defeated - here's a case of a RAW processing S/W which does not yet understand the K-x - so the case is somewhat extreme - but it is a very good illustration that RAW is not a panacea/silver bullet to all problems -
eg: I could not manage to get to the same color/hue rendition of the paired JPG - and I really tried - please see:
Post #182 in Do people really shoot in JPEG???