I will get a K-x 1010.53%
I will get Both 11.05%
I will get Neither 1212.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Which one you would prefer, K-7 or K-x ?

Title sez it all

I guess it would be great to tell us the reason why.

Last edited by cbaytan; 02-02-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: add info
02-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

K-7

There's really no question. More physical controls (particularly the metering mode switch and the second dial), awesome 100% viewfinder, extremely good automatic white balance (and since it's hooked to the focus system, no focus issues with different light sources), TAv mode, USER mode (an unacceptable omission — and the K-7 should have three or four), weather sealing, etc., etc. And of course, extremely high image quality.

Oh! And per-lens focus adjustment. Since every one of my lenses performs significantly better with this, I can't imagine not having it.
02-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #3

I still cannot make up my mind... Kx or K7, so annoying now.
02-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #4

if you can afford it, why wouldn't you get the K7. get the kx if you dont want to spend as much

02-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DavoMrMac Quote
I still cannot make up my mind... Kx or K7, so annoying now.
Why? IMHO if you have the K-x money and an extra $400, there is nothing much to think about it. Unless you are really into low light photography.
02-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #6

I can afford either...

My dilemma is that I keep reading such rave reviews on how superb the little Kx package is, the low light performance, the value. So my thought was to buy Kx and then upgrade maybe in a year or so.

Then I look at the K7 specs. The reviews still rave on about how good it is, build, etc etc, but two things stop me on this one...
The noise is not rated as clean as other manufacturers.
Secondly, the fear of spending around £800 and then having a new K8 come out mid-year with the Kx sensor (plus some other goodies too).
02-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can afford either...

Secondly, the fear of spending around £800 and then having a new K8 come out mid-year with the Kx sensor (plus some other goodies too).
I understand you, but K-8 with a K-x sensor is not quiet possible IMO, that would be greatest embarrassment for Pentax in it's history. A K-8 with a better sensor than K-7's is more likely me thinks.Besides I don't believe low-ISO noise is an issue on K-7.

Last edited by cbaytan; 02-02-2010 at 07:39 AM.
02-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #8

The question is when can we see a K8?

So, spend less money, enjoy the Kx, then buy the ultimate?

Buy the K7, enjoy, then maybe still get the ultimate?

Just looking at K7 images now, OK up to ISO 800 in many reports, yet the Kx OK even higher up the ISO scale... I see a pattern here, I keep coming back to being concerned about image noise!
02-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Just looking at K7 images now, OK up to ISO 800 in many reports, yet the Kx OK even higher up the ISO scale... I see a pattern here, I keep coming back to being concerned about image noise!
You are expressing yourself clearly, you worried about high-ISO noise, so you took your pick already.
02-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

In all my years of shooting, even on film, high ISO has always been ideal since there will always be situations where you have to shoot low light.
With film as with digital, using high ISO causes grain/noise when ISO goes up.
With that said, I would love to get the K-x for this high ISO performance but I got interested into Pentax because of it's weather sealing.
I wanted to buy the K20D before because of this but decided to wait and bought the K100D super instead.
It was a good investment as I found out that it also performed well under low light conditions.
I would still want the weather-sealing but alas, the low light performance is lacking on the K-7.
I guess, I would get neither and still wait since the turnover of technology is really fast.
02-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #11

Well I have been looking here;
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

It has been very useful to me.

Comparing the Kx to the K7 and many others, mainly at ISO 800, 1600, 3200 & 6400.

Due to the lower noise in the Kx images, they seem to resolve more detail. Maybe that is my lack of knowledge. Perhaps the K7 images when the noise is removed, reveal more detail.

Anyway, flicking through many comparisons, including the Canon 500D, 50D, Nikon D90, D300s, etc. I much prefer the clean look of the Kx. Even against the Nikon D700, Canon 7D and 5D, it still looks so much cleaner.

Of course at the lower ISO settings the K7 shows much more detail, as do some of the others when compared to the Kx.
02-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

how often do you shoot in RAW? do you post-process? and how often do you shoot above ISO 3200? do you exclusively shoot with in-camera jpegs?

I think it would be helpful if you spend enough time browsing the photo gallery or looking for threads which shows photos shot at HIGH ISO and how they were able to achieve clean images at such HIGH ISO. at the end of the day, it depends on how you work with your image rather than having the camera or image work for you. you are handling a dslr camera now, not a P&S. so pp workflow is necessary.
02-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #13

Hi Pentaxor... in answer to your questions.

I shoot RAW on the occasions when I feel I need to come away with the image. If I am just out and about, then probably JPEG, so if I miss a couple, no worries.

I post process sometimes, but hate the thought of noise covering up detail.

Max out at ISO 1600 sometimes, although being able to confidently use ISO 3200 would be good.

So much browsing of photos and the help here has been brilliant.
02-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Pentaxor... in answer to your questions.

I shoot RAW on the occasions when I feel I need to come away with the image. If I am just out and about, then probably JPEG, so if I miss a couple, no worries.

I post process sometimes, but hate the thought of noise covering up detail.

Max out at ISO 1600 sometimes, although being able to confidently use ISO 3200 would be good.

So much browsing of photos and the help here has been brilliant.
hi Davo, I understand your worries about noise covering up detail. there are topics here that talks about methods on avoiding, eliminationg or reducing noise. such as ETTL or ETTR, depends on what you prefer between the two.

there are also effective noise removal tools that doesn't really smear or blotch up the details of the image, and how easily noise can be removed or handled. the degree of noise removed depends on how much you want it. the oldest perhaps would be noiseware. haven't used noise ninja but some people liked it.

JB, started a tutorial thread regarding HIGH ISO noise removal using a new software (TOPaz denoise) which I'm interested to try out myself and might replace my noiseware.

here is a link and hope that it gives you the confidence shooting at ISO 3200 without worries. >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/86742-another-iso4000-k20d-image.html

btw, I don't use in-camera noise reduction and turn it off, and I shoot sometimes at ISO 3200 without worrying about noise since it can be easily handled during post-processing.

if there was a camera with HIGH ISO capability that interests me and I might consider in the future, it would be something that is high enough to display a daytime effect with minimal or no noise. so when would that be?
02-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have both. Got the K-7 to replace the K20D, and got the K-x as a lightweight/street shooter backup.

I love both, and use both.

The K-7 has excellent feel, wonderful controls, weather sealing, and excellent IQ up to about ISO1600. I regularly shoot ISO1000-1250 without thinking about it, if the lighting is right. With the grip it has excellent ergonomics, easily the best I've ever felt.

The K-x is light in the hand, has excellent IQ up to ISO3200, and pairs incredibly well with the DA Limiteds. I use it for parties, bar shots, and when I want to be less conspicuous on the street.

I think it's a great two-camera setup.