Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 and ACR support in CS3?

Hi

Just wondering as I don't want to take the plunge and then find out I can't do anything with my images...

I am going to be in the fortunate position to be able to upgrade my K100D to a K7 in the near future. I am currently using Photoshop CS3, Bridge and LR 2.6 and I was wondering, can I still use the K7 with these pieces of software or am I going to have to upgrade to CS4 to get the correct ACR update?

Of course, I would rather not if have to, but if someone can tell me if this is the case, then I would be most grateful. Thanks in advance

John

02-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
PFH
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On K-7 you can use the DNG format, it works in ACR in CS3. K-7:s PEF don´t work in ACR-CS3.
02-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Is this a switchable file format in the menu and native? That would be great if it is....excellent! Thanks for that!
02-02-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
PFH
Site Supporter

Yes, you can chose between PEF and DNG in the menu.

02-02-2010, 03:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you very much! Very useful and has now made my mind up for me! K7 it is!

John
02-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Hi

If you like better to use PEF, you can convert to DNG with Adobe Digital Negative Converted.
I have found that with my K-x it produces smaller DNG’s then the ones from the camera, around 1.5 to 3 megs smaller per photo, so I have chosen to keep on shooting in PEF and then convert to DNG after… something I was doing with the K100D Super before, as that one just shoots in PEF.

Best,
02-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi ddharriman

When you say the camera produces smaller files, how do you mean? You shoot in PEF, then convert using Adobe Digital Negative Converted afterwards? This maintains the file size? Sorry, I am not sure I understand.....apologies....
02-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter

The DNG files made by the Pentax cameras are not compressed at all, whereas if you convert PEF files to DNG in a converter, they will end up being quite a bit smaller (PEF files are smaller than the camera made DNGs to begin with). I don't decide what to shoot based on file size, because storage is cheap.

02-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Rondec...I shall probably stick with my software and take all images in DNG format in camera......seems like the most sensible way to go about things....thanks for clearing that up. I agree, storage is cheap.....
02-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The DNG files made by the Pentax cameras are not compressed at all, whereas if you convert PEF files to DNG in a converter, they will end up being quite a bit smaller (PEF files are smaller than the camera made DNGs to begin with). I don't decide what to shoot based on file size, because storage is cheap.
This is not correct in relation to the K7. The PEF and DNGs are pretty much exactly the same size, at most perhaps a few hundred K different.
The nice thing about DNG is that any version of Photoshop that supports a raw converter will open them. I still have PS7 on my back up computer, and it will open my K7 DNGs.