Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At 10 learned photography on dad's Spotmatic. At 16 bought an Olympus OM 1 (first in town with the motor drive mod). Shot for years. Went to a Nikon event and used free equipment. Loved the 15mm rectilinear. Pentax made one for less so I bought it and put it on a LX. Also shoot a Leica M system ( M2, 3, 4MP, CL). Have a Canon 10D film camera and a D60 dslr. Bought because they were cheap.

When it was time for first dslr looked at the brands I had lenses for. Olympus, Pentax, and Canon. Olympus didn't have the adapter for using OM lenses yet. OUCH. Lots of expensive lenses that wouldn't work. Hated the Canon and loved the *ist DS. Bought the DS. Then the K10/20D, and K-7.
Eventually added Olympus E300/330 for the expensive OM lenses. Just sold the E300 and will probably replace it with a E30.

so:

1. Olympus
2. Was simpler to use, like a good film camera, and all the lenses fit (including my 6x7 lenses).
3. No regrets - do wish they would bring out a couple of long lenses.
4. Can't imagine ever shooting only one system.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST # 27 in compact camera forum. Enter #28. Any brand camera. Enter now!

02-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #32
Inactive Account

I switched from Canon XT because I had a vision .
Thought about switching to Nikon ,getting tired of Pentax playing "catch up " to the others .
Maybe I'll stay ................
02-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jesus Quote
I switched from Canon XT because I had a vision .
Thought about switching to Nikon ,getting tired of Pentax playing "catch up " to the others .
Maybe I'll stay ................
At least I can use my vintage Pentax glass on my K20d and K200d. I can't use my vintage Canon glass on my EOS 10S with exception of the macro.
02-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

When it was time for first dslr looked at the brands I had lenses for. Olympus, Pentax, and Canon. Olympus didn't have the adapter for using OM lenses yet. OUCH.
Just a little curious on this point: Olympus introduced the OM adapter with their first DSLR, the E-1, and even included it for free with the E-1 for early-adopters. Are you talking about cheap third party adapters, russian chipped (focus confirmation) adapters, or what?

02-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My old system:
Canon FD film

Why I switched?
I purchased a K200D because I wanted to replace my Pentax Digital Spotmeter Zone VI with a digital camera I can use as a lightmeter and also I can see the results and histograms before I shoot, just like old-timers used polaroids for pre-shots, but my trusted developer had a heart attack and retired, I was stuck with the K200D, then I discovered K200D is a pretty adequate nifty CCD camera.

Will I stay?
With an exception of if I could afford Nikon D3x and 3 lenses (2 zooms and a macro) if I win the lottery I'll get it ,
I don't think changing to any other system will worth over K-7 including Canon 1Ds III. (MY Ref: imaging-resource 100ASA still samples)
02-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Erk1ssen, if they introduced the E1 with the adapter I missed it. Sure they played cagey and called very little attention to it.

Can remember when 4/3 came out with a new lens mount and the 2x crop. I was so mad. Felt betrayed. Later found and bought the E300 and it came with the adapter (if you begged for it). By this time I already had the DS. Far preferred it to the Olympus anyway - much less consumer "point & shooty". Still keep the E330 around to use the mucho expensive OM lenses including 24 shift, 50 1.2, 100 2, 180 2 (and 2.8), and 350 2.8 (with 1.4 matched converter).

Am looking to bolster the Oly ranks with an E30. Want a bigger viewfinder for manual focusing the OM lenses.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #27 in compact camera forum. Enter #28. Any brand camera. Enter now!
02-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Have a Centon DF300 and Canon 50e from when I shot film from around the mid-late 90's. Still have both cameras.
When I bought the 50e, I was torn between that and the MZ-5.
Went with the Canon, because it was more within my budget at the time with the offer I got.
I would have bought the MZ-5 if I could have afforded it.
Liked both the design of the 50e and MZ-5.
Must admit, I did find the Canon a bit more comfortable with the larger grip.

I used the Canon from time to time during the 6-7 years before turning to digital in 2008.
Immediately looked into Pentax as I hadn't invested in much glass for my Canon.
I also was looking in to Olympus before I chose Pentax.

Decided on the K10D.
- Build and feel of the Pentax bodies.
Feel rugged and solid, not plasticky.
- Lenses. Still haven't invested in much for the K10D, but impressed by what's available.
Despite the price hikes, they're still a good price in Japan and the old lenses are widely available here.
- In-camera SR.
One thing I didn't like about Canon was that the IS is in the lenses and costs a small fortune. I think it's a very useful feature, but comes at a cost with Canon.
- The menu layout and two wheels on my K10 are fantastic.
- I would like to say the WR sealing, but I don't have any DA* lenses to give a good test.

I don't try to get hung up on brands, but Pentax feels a lot different to others...like part of an exclusive club...ha.
For those of us that have a Pentax, there really should be no explaining necessary to Canon/Nikon owners as why we chose Pentax.
For those that know, know. There is no explanation needed.
Just enjoy taking pics...that's what it's all about.

Last edited by mickey; 02-10-2010 at 07:47 AM.
02-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Canon to Pentax

I liked the Pentax Limited lenses - was determined to have a 31, 43, and 77 (currently have the 31 and 77). The 15mm even though a crop lens is entering the same level. I love the Pentax color and rendering - the photos if you work past Pentax limitations can be stunning.

I never really cared for Canon's plastic looking skin tones from the 30d, 40d generations

Regrets, a few from time to time. I can tolerate the peripheal nature of Pentax concerning availability. The things that bother me most about Pentax is the relatively weaker autofocus system and flash system. Also there is not any readily available effective path for sports and wildlife photography, something I enjoyed with the Canon

I REALLY want a FF offering and an upgraded successor to the K7 available.

I have on occasion considered switching to Nikon as they seem to have the best system direction currently, but I would want to find a way to keep a modest Pentax system as well, if for no other reason than to use my Limiteds