Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Were you a "switcher"?

(I'm not sure exactly where to post this, so I'll try here. Also, my apologies if there's a similar thread like this, but I searched before starting this one. Here goes ...)

Just curious:

1. If you switched to Pentax after being loyal to another system, what system was it?
2. Why did you switch?
3. Do you still stand by your decision, or do you now regret it?
4. If you regret it, why, and will you switch to another system again?

02-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting question, and I can't think of a better forum for it, although other mods might have better ideas.

I didn't switch from another system. Well, I used another long defunct system (Zeiss Ikon, as I recall) decades ago, but there was no way that could have been a factor when I chose Pentax for digital in 2005. I have no regrets on choosing Pentax. If anything, Pentax has become a better fit for me as they and I both develop - SR wasn't available when I chose Pentax, nor were the DA Limited primes, but these would make me very reluctant to switch away now.
02-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I switched from Nikon to Pentax.
I switched for the lenses.
No, I don't regret it, Pentax glass is still better than anything else out there
02-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I've been pretty much Pentax but have dabbled with a little Canon here and a little Nikon here. My grandfather was big time into Minolta so I got a fair amount of exposure to Minolta.

02-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #5

Wouldn't call myself a switcher.....yet.
Still using a Canon system, and probably will for quite some time. Tried Pentax since it had all the features I wanted in a compact body including SR. Canon offers great functioning bodies as long as you don't mind holding larger cameras.
02-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm not a switcher...although I've thought about it twice..seriously.. in 40 odd years.

Once to Nikon in the early '70's (Nikon F Photomic-came close) and Nikon D200 or Canon 30D in 2006. Then Pentax came out with the K10D and that kept me in the Pentax fold.

Pentax is my main system and has been for those aforementioned, long years.

But I also have in my arsenal...Mamiya Medium Format, Yashica, Leica, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic Lumix, Zeiss-Ikon (Super Ikonta 6 X 9).
02-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi enoxatnep,

All my DSLRs have been Pentaxes, but I shot Pentax, Canon, and Nikon film SLRs, and still have a Canon F1 original that hasn't felt a roll of film in it for 20 years.

I started with a DS in early 2005 and have no regrets nor plans to move for the foreseeable future.

Scott

02-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
pdo

I was a Canon 10D user then switch to Pentax system because of Pentax prime. Back when Pentax haven't came out the the DA* lenses. I now only have DA* lenses since it would be too expensive to own prime that cover all my needs.

Haven't regret a bit but my photography mentor that I model shoot with is trying to switch me back to Canon. He gave me a free Canon 1D Mark II and all I have to do is buy lenses for it but I didn't take that deal. Shows how much I love my Pentax system.
02-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I switched for the lenses.
No, I don't regret it, Pentax glass is still better than anything else out there

Same here... but was a Nikon film man... since returning to photography and was new to digital I chose Pentax for the same reason as you Wheatfield..... glass glass glass.

Cheers

Neil
02-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #10

I was a Nikon user before switching to Pentax, love the combination of in-body SR and their fast prime lenses.
02-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Same here... but was a Nikon film man... since returning to photography and was new to digital I chose Pentax for the same reason as you Wheatfield..... glass glass glass.

Cheers

Neil
My last Nikon was an F3. I switched to Pentax about 25 years ago.
My first pentax was actually a 6x7 system, the 35mm stuff came a couple of years later.
02-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #12
Nubi

I did have a Nikon before. I had FE, and got it stolen from my dorm room.
02-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I switched from Nikon to Pentax.....

I switched for the lenses and the Body SR.
Pentax Limited Glass is still better than anything else out there,
except the "Canon TS-E 17/4.0 L" and the "Voigtlander 125/2.5 Macro APO Lanthar"....

LG
Hartmut
02-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I was a confirmed Olypussian, OMian, till they abandoned us for their walk in the wilderness.

My first AF film SLR was a Pentax, and this due to the legacy lens support.

Since switching allegiances, I see little reason as yet to try other digital systems, though I did go for a Nikon FE, film only.
02-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Banned

Not a switcher, first DSLR. I had SLR's back in the 70s-80s in high school and right out of college but stopped serious photography for a long time. Used the cheapest stuff I could find used on my very limited budget, Yashicamat TLR and a Mamiya SLR doing B&W and Cibachrome at home. When I decided to get serious again about a year ago I looked at the names I knew, Pentax, Nikon, Canon & Olympus. I went and looked at entry level stuff at the local ritz and liked the K100 the best for feel. The other entry level cameras felt cheap by comparison. None of them felt like the tanks I was used to. So I read more and more about the pentax cams. I then found a *ist DL with lens for 260 and jumped on it. From there it's been a progression from the DL to K10D to K20D and lenses as well. Finding deals at the pawnshop or craigslist and trading up. So I'm out about 800 bucks from my pocket and have a system I could sell used right now for about 1400 and couldn't replace with a canon or nikon system for under 2000.00.

Overall very satisfied with my setup. I do wish that AF was a bit faster and that the flashes were TTL.