Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #1

PROBLEM: Genesis 400 strobe lights w/ K-7 not working w/ sync cable

So I bought a pair of Genesis 400 watt lights from Calumet photo to use with my K7. Unfortunately I can only trigger the first shot when I'm tethered to my K7's PC sync socket. I wait for the flash to recharge and when I depress the shutter again for another shot. Nothing fires.

I'm pretty sure it's not the new flash units. As I have tried both with the same results. The test button on the flash unit triggers the flash just fine. The pop up flash from my K7 will also trigger the lights repeatedly.

Any thoughts?

I just bought a set of the Yong Nuo RF-602 to trigger off the hotshoe (in both the Pentax/canon and Nikon versions) but they will take about 2 weeks to get here.

Pls help. TIA.
-Tony
NYC

02-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have read similar experiences about current studio flash units and DSLRs several times. It seems, that somehow the very simply communications between the camera and flash does not work. The only reliable solution, those people reporting that problem have found, is using an optical or radio trigger. My Pentaxes work reliably with the sync cord and my Interfit flashes, but that does not help with the Genesis units…

Perhaps using a longer shutter speed in M-mode, instead of the X-sync may also help. Sometimes the order of switching on and connecting camera and flash seems also to have an influence on the reliability of the connection.

Ben
02-03-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can reverse the lead to the camera, try that. I know on the Normans at the studio I work with, I have to flip the lead from the box to the camera.
Something about the polarity of the leads or some such.
Pentax is quite sensitive that way.
02-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Wheatfield: I thought the k-7 manual cautioned against having the polarity of the cord swapped out (no negative polarity inner pin). Won't I fry something by doing that?

I hear people talk about high voltages from old flash units damaging newer DSLR.. Am I correct to say assume those issues are isolated to hotshoe flash units? Not something connect to my PC sync?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you can reverse the lead to the camera, try that. I know on the Normans at the studio I work with, I have to flip the lead from the box to the camera.
Something about the polarity of the leads or some such.
Pentax is quite sensitive that way.

02-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slappy76 Quote
Wheatfield: I thought the k-7 manual cautioned against having the polarity of the cord swapped out (no negative polarity inner pin). Won't I fry something by doing that?

I hear people talk about high voltages from old flash units damaging newer DSLR.. Am I correct to say assume those issues are isolated to hotshoe flash units? Not something connect to my PC sync?
The Genesis modells are, as far as I know, marketed by Bowens as digital safe, aren't they?

Also, the pc connector works usually fully independent of the hot shoe, at least in most DSLRs, but I don't have a K7 and cannot guarantee this to be the case with that particular modell, though I would doubt, Pentax invented the pc connector again, just for that camera.

But you may find a solution (apart from wireless triggers), if you simply search the web for these flash related problems. I know, I have seen some discussions about that problem before somewhere (but unfortunately cannot recall where in cyberspace).

Ben
02-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slappy76 Quote

If the camera fries from plugging a flash into the PC outlet, it's a warranty issue.
All I can relate is that before we went wireless at the studio, I often had to rotate the PC cord to box plug (it looks exactly like an old style North American extension cord plug with no wide prong) to make the flash work with my camera.
02-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I was using the PC sync socket on my K7 the other day. I was firing a old Agfa flashgun via the cord and an AF540FGZ via optical slave. Worked fine repeatedly.

02-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
I called calumet and they said they never heard of such a problem. He later asked me what sync speed I had my camera on.. I said 1/180. "Oh that's too fast.. the lights can only go up to 1/125. Switch it to Manual and set a slower shutter". It didn't sound right to me since I heard of guys using faster shutters than that. When I got home from work I tried his suggestion with no success.

Yesterday I called Pentax and the tech said he had heard of the issue. And he said it he believed it to be the issue with polarity needing reversal. He didn't have technical details but that was what he had heard. I surely thought this was it! A few guys mentioned it so it MUST be true. Went to Radio shack to source the parts and built my own 1/8" mono polarity reversing patch cable. Got home to test it this morning.... drum roll... nothing.

So I'm back to square one. The only thing left to try is wait a week for my friend with his K7 to test with mine. Otherwise it goes back to Pentax (again). Last time I was without camera for 5 weeks.
02-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #9

Any updates or resolution to this problem

I tried using the x-sync today on my K-7 for the first time. Connected once and everything was fine, connected again and wouldn't fire external flash. Tried everything, then flicked the pop-up flash up and suddenly the externals were firing along with the pop-up. WEIRD! Wondering if I should send the camera in for warranty or what... also, but may be unrelated, have had some strange times when camera wouldn't autofocus. Wonder if this is related? Any similar problems with yours? Thanks! -Alex