Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Advice, any reason not to buy a refurb K10D

Just trying to figure out if I should pick up a refurb K10D, its a great price and I am looking for a downside - there has to be something

02-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoodooATL Quote
Just trying to figure out if I should pick up a refurb K10D, its a great price and I am looking for a downside - there has to be something
If price is your main driving factor, then I would say no, no reason not to get a refurb K10d. I suggest you compare the K10d to the K20d before making your final decision though. That way you can decide which features you can live without and make a better informed choice.

02-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd only buy if it was local so you can return if you need to, otherwise used on this forum is a better bet.

Try to pony up for the 20D, if only for the AF adjustment for up to 20 lenses ... freakin life saver.
02-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be the same with any rebuild.

a) some items that were not replaced could be worn,

b) the tech is one or more generation older than the newest/latest/greatest,

c) it is 'used' yeww (kidding, but that matter to some people, as cosmetically there maybe a scuff or scrap,

d) may/may-not come with warn't, which you will pay for in a higher price than buying used from private seller

e) the refurbisher has taken it for a test drive, ensuring everything is working

Benifits

a) Bugs are often worked out of software, well at least more so than new releases,

b) MUCH cheaper often,

c) there has been real world experience that other post in reviews, which can be more benifical than prelaunch reviews

d) after market or used parts are often plentiful

02-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Although I've seen one person post that they had a faulty one, most people who have gone that route are happy with theirs and often the cameras appear to be brand new with maybe a dent on the box or something.
I think the chances of getting a defective one are probably less than buying new.
One downside is the short warranty but some sellers offer their own at a reasonable cost. If you get one, just make sure you really put it through it's paces when you get it. I would imagine that if there's a problem, it will make itself known sooner rather than later.
02-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All very good point, I was looking at the BB refurb deal - I think they get all the Pentax refurbs in the US. As I recall it is a factory refurb, so that is a plus.

I used to shoot Pentax film and recently moved to digital (Nikon), but I have to say not having enough manual controls and sharing buttons is a real pain for me. I also miss not having an in body sync, something the K20D has - not that a hotshoe adapter is a big deal.

So a $379 refurb K10D or something like a used D80 would solve my complaints while letting me keep some glass. If that refurb K20D ever comes back it wouldn't an choice at all.

Still can't make up my mind...
02-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It is a fair price. The real issue, by all accounts, is whether you primarily shoot ISO 400 or below. If you need 800 or 1600 ISO for more than occasional use - the K10D is not a great choice.

The fact that so few K20D bodies have showed up as refurb tells you just how solid quality control was with this unit.
02-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
True, the K20D looks very solid - then again all my old pentax gear was tank like. I would shoot ISO50 if I could, models can hold still just fine