Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2006, 06:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
convincing the wife: how good is the k100 at P&S?

hi everyone

I am trying to convince my wife that a k100 is a great choice. the thing is she is only a point and shooter at this point (will try to teach her, but she is a bit stuborn)
how good is it at P&S? (all automatic for her)
any input welcome

thanks

11-25-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hi slipchuck!

here is my test of k100d, without any postproduction done. I think it's great camera with excellent exposure metering.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/695-pentax-k100d-test.html

All those photos were taken in Av mode... I also think kit lenses 18-55 and 50-200 are excellent choice for that money.

I hope this test could help you somehow.

Regards
kjask
11-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wives

Slipchuck, you have my sympathy; I get a very strong feeling that our wives may be quite similar. They want simple, easy to use, light to carry, inexpensive cameras that "do what the want", but...

And they say they trust us, but they know our preference is toward 'more power'.

My wife fell in love with a DL at a local retailer when she first picked it up. And before I could head her off to a different department the salesman started his pitch. He knew all the right phrases and next thing I know we're back at the car, and she's into my bag for batteries and flash memory and rambling on about how I need to teach her how to upload the images to her laptop.

Lucky or unlucky for me this was pre-K100 times; but the lesson is learned: put one in her hands, green mode, ready to fire. Take her to a place where she can 'try-it'. Stop by the nearest/favorite (mini)lab on the way home and get prints. Offer to keep the camera as one of your own if she is not happy while you wait. Pay for the prints and keep your mouth shut while she looks at them.

Say 'goodbye' to the camera, she will let go sometime like when she's asleep. Continue to keep you mouth shut; she will soon realize that ALL your accessories will fit her camera!

By the way, I bought the K100 while waiting for my '10'. It's a 'digital K1000': on one hand it has most all the features a P&Ser would desire and on the other end of capabilities, many of those that satisfy the techno-savvy-shooter too. All digitally wrapped around a classic and capable 35mm-like design. And it makes beautiful images straight away but retains the RAW advantages for those special situations.

The Pentax digital K line is all about one thing: empowering the owner with the latest digital imaging capability! Don't let your wife 'get left behind'.
11-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks jfdavis58 I am at work right now on a crappy monitor so I will have to check them out on monday.
you are right on the money, jfdavis58

when we first lived together, I brought (at the time amoung the fastest) a good computer with me. she had a really old and crappy one.
"I will never need that expensive computer" Is what I heard. evenually I couldn't get her off it!
my wife has always liked scrapbooking, and I told her she should get into digital scrapbooking.
"No way am I ever going to touch Photoshop" then she looked at at site called Digital Scrapbooking at the Digital Scrapbook Place! Computer Scrapping is the hottest new way to preserve your memories!
got interested, but got me to do all the photoshop work.
then BANG! she is on her own and is now very capable with photoshop. she is an amazing blender. I still hold the edge on color correction and optimizing for the web.
she is way more creative then me, so she has passed me in many ways.

she sometimes teases me by saying she wants a DLSR and then draws back.
I think I will take her into the camera shop and let her play around.
I am definately getting the k10, and likely a sigma 17-70 glass and a sigma 500 super flash.
I am sure if she gets the k100, she will realize what I mean why getting a camera like pentax that could share everything is the best.

I lot of people on her digital scrap place have canon rebels, and have been trying to convince her that is the way to go.
I told her that the pentax is very close to the rebel xt (not the xti) for a lot less. her ears perked up.

thanks again for the recommendations, eveyone

randy

11-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
hi everyone

I am trying to convince my wife that a k100 is a great choice. the thing is she is only a point and shooter at this point (will try to teach her, but she is a bit stubborn)
how good is it at P&S? (all automatic for her)
any input welcome

thanks
In my humble opinion, it's perfect! I've screwed around with point and shoot cameras they were a way bigger headache than the K00D. I have the heart of a pint and shooter. I want to take photos - not study gear to the ground. I don't want the camera to force me to have to learn what *it* wants to get the photos I like. Rich color and sharp detail (for the most part). The learning I enjoy is composition, using light for effect - that sort of thing. Not keep going back to the menu system for every different kind of shot.

I literally put the batteries in the camera, set it to "auto scenes" and was shocked at how good it was. The only changes I've made within the menu system were personal choice stuff, like turning off "auto review" and "auto flash". I shoot primarily in the auto and program mode. I do know how to use aperture and shutter preferred for certain shots I want, but if your wife doesn't - she can still be very pleased and learn it later.

I'm no great photog, just a hobbyist. All if these were taken with the K100D in "auto". The farms and landscapes were shot out a car window zipping down the highway at 70 miles an hour.

Debbie

November 2006 Photo Gallery by Debbie at pbase.com
11-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Izzy Quote
In my humble opinion, it's perfect! I've screwed around with point and shoot cameras they were a way bigger headache than the K00D. I have the heart of a pint and shooter. I want to take photos - not study gear to the ground. I don't want the camera to force me to have to learn what *it* wants to get the photos I like. Rich color and sharp detail (for the most part). The learning I enjoy is composition, using light for effect - that sort of thing. Not keep going back to the menu system for every different kind of shot.

I literally put the batteries in the camera, set it to "auto scenes" and was shocked at how good it was. The only changes I've made within the menu system were personal choice stuff, like turning off "auto review" and "auto flash". I shoot primarily in the auto and program mode. I do know how to use aperture and shutter preferred for certain shots I want, but if your wife doesn't - she can still be very pleased and learn it later.

I'm no great photog, just a hobbyist. All if these were taken with the K100D in "auto". The farms and landscapes were shot out a car window zipping down the highway at 70 miles an hour.

Debbie

November 2006 Photo Gallery by Debbie at pbase.com
thank you very much for you input, debbie. much appreciated!
I think that a woman's input would be very important to her.
BTW, do you do digital scrapbooking as well?
besides the kids, this is what got her really interested in photography again.

I will be checking out your pics in more detail when I get off this crappy work monitor and am on my 19" er

thanks again,

cheers
11-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #7

More than happy to help. That's why I made sure to sign my name, so she would know there are women out here that really love the cam. I don't do scraping booking, digital or otherwise, simply because my life is way to cluttered with "stuff" for projects I never get around to I have piles of UFO's (unfinished objects). I do really love my photo albums though. I probably have more printed than anybody around.