Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting Link re: DSLR Roadmap

Very interesting assessment here at this German Site:

http://www.photozone.de/active/forum/ShowMessage?ID=108615421463974872146397486A

Ben

06-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nothing of interest to me

If that is all Pentax can come up with I won't be buying anything until the fall of 2009. Can't believe that is all that will be coming but Roland has a good history of knowing what will be released.

Regards,
06-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #3

Anyone thinks they would release a sports/jounalism camera?

I think that with a proper marketing plan a sub 2000 dollar 8-10fps weather sealed camera could take a chunk out of Canon's cake.
06-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

A K10D Super, without the patterned noise I assume. Then all the K10D owners are left in the dust and Pentax will freak'n never admit there is a problem.

We listen to our customers.

06-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You are right

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
A K10D Super, without the patterned noise I assume. Then all the K10D owners are left in the dust and Pentax will freak'n never admit there is a problem.

And the best part is they will just say, "Oh that was the old management before Hoya".

Regards,
06-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #6

What Roland state pretty much reflects what I think for the lower end, but I'm kinda puzzled, looking at the specs, how there would be room for a K5D between a possible K1D and a K10D (Super).
06-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd be a bit disappointed if they released a K10D Super in the fall because I suspect this will have the hardware fixes (VPN and vertical antialias filter, aka, "x-mas lights" or "color moire").

Ben: any hints as to whether this is true? I know you mentioned that the K10D won't be replaced until next year, but technically, a K10D Super isn't really a replacement since it's still named "K10D" :-)
06-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting link.

It looks like (no surprise here) Pentax is staying with the 1.5 crop factor - hence not going with the new Sony sensor.

Roland hypothesized that they are going to use a Kodak sensor with the new 'low noise' invention...I thought that was just a theory! They can't possibly already be putting it into production. It's no wonder that Pentax couldn't source the 12MP sensor for the K10, right?

One bright spot is that maybe the K10D Super will in fact fix the VPN problems, and that they've discovered how to fix it in firmware for all us existing K10 users. That would be slick.

06-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D staying in USA for the year.

K10D will stay current for rest of year. Thats my very educated guess. K100D super will arrive this year.
thanks
barondla
06-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

Ben: any hints as to whether this is true? I know you mentioned that the K10D won't be replaced until next year, but technically, a K10D Super isn't really a replacement since it's still named "K10D" :-)
I asked him this exact question, even by private email. Its the first time I was completely ignored which indicates its probably true. As someone posted above, this is a perfect explanation as to why Pentax acknowledged nothing and was able to bide time avoiding IQ comments.

Oh well. So much for the current K10D owners...
06-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote

in fact fix the VPN problems, and that they've discovered how to fix it in firmware for all us existing K10 users. That would be slick.
And its "what the customers want" if that phrase means anything in the current Pentax philosophy about those who've already purchased a K10D.
06-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm still skeptical about the "between" model. But I guess we'll see.
06-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote

The never admitting part is what made me assume that this was their plan since PMA 5 months ago hence my posts since then (as you said) became predictable.

Roland actually holds out some optimism that the difference between the K10D and the K10D super might be just firmware.

The only sensible good advantage for Pentax I can see to this (other than making me happy), is it gives Pentax a way to re-market the camera addressing the improved jpg IQ/menu options and no VPN.

Then, as Roland says, the firmware update can be released to current K10D owners giving them the same camera. (Yay! This actually is what the customers want, not what they want to say the customers want.)

More likely, it is being done for simpler, less convoluted reasons. - A couple of hardware adjustments were needed, along with new firmware, so current K10D owners will not get those fixes. (Too bad, deal with it, buy our new K10D Super)

The not admitting part and new model designation "Super" will effectively absolve them from any "warranty" application of these hardware adjustment fixes on the current K10D.

Jonas, sorry for my predictability over the last few months on this exact "K10D Super" topic, but I was hoping that by posting what this will do to current K10D owners would make Pentax think twice about not having a way to give us these fixes, too. (As if anyone from Pentax ever read any of my posts

Last edited by mutley; 06-28-2007 at 05:59 PM.
06-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
The never admitting part is what made me assume that this was their plan since PMA 5 months ago hence my posts since then (as you said) became predictable.
Something I am guilty of as well, btw.

Roland actually holds out some optimism that the difference between the K10D and the K10D super might be just firmware.

The only sensible good advantage for Pentax I can see to this (other than making me happy), is it gives Pentax a way to re-market the camera addressing the improved jpg IQ/menu options and no VPN.

Then, as Roland says, the firmware update can be released to current K10D owners giving them the same camera. (Yay! This actually is what the customers want, not what they want to say the customers want.)
Reminding about the DS/DS2.

More likely, it is being done for simpler, less convoluted reasons. - A couple of hardware adjustments were needed, along with new firmware, so current K10D owners will not get those fixes. (Too bad, deal with it, buy our new K10D Super)

The not admitting part and new model designation "Super" will effectively absolve them from any "warranty" application of these hardware adjustment fixes on the current K10D.

Jonas, sorry for my predictability over the last few months on this exact "K10D Super" topic, but I was hoping that by posting what this will do to current K10D owners would make Pentax think twice about not having a way to give us these fixes, too. (As if anyone from Pentax ever read any of my posts
Oh, I can be quite nagging myself. I know not many appreciate nagging. Still, the discussion has to be held alive, or rather, at least allowed to pop up from time to time. That way we can give Pentax a possibility to listen to their customers.

I think we are thinking the same about it all.
My K10D is back to Pentax for the second time. Now the problem is exclusively described as a "problem with the noise that in dark background is not random but more forming patterns going vertically - something that can not be right, right?".

regards,
06-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #15

Is the 645D still coming? It really seems that Pentax is going for the trifecta when you think about it.

They already have very strong entry and advanced level offerings. I believe that the K1D and 645D won't disappoint. Although I am concerned that perhaps a 1.2-1.3 crop on the K1D wouldn't be advantageous?

All that is missing from the line up is a rugged sports camera to match wits with the Mark III.

The only products from Canon that I like are the 5D and the EOS 1D Mark III. Other than that, I think that their products suck.

With Nikon, they market heavily to the prosumer. To me they don't breach heavily in to the true professional market and definately not the studio.

Pentax is attacking the professional market, which canon rules, with the K1D and 645D.
They are also attacking the entry level to prosumer market, which is Nikon's.

In a couple of years people could be refering to the "Big 3" if C and N are not careful.