Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
dealrocker

Pentax K-7 GPS module

My bro is new to the DSLR world and he recently got a Pentax K-7. He read somewhere about the GPS connectivity with K-7. Does anyone have any information or knowledge regarding GPS software/hardware to use on a K-7?

Any advice and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks..

02-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dealrocker Quote
My bro is new to the DSLR world and he recently got a Pentax K-7. He read somewhere about the GPS connectivity with K-7. Does anyone have any information or knowledge regarding GPS software/hardware to use on a K-7?
I looked into this a while back, and I'm pretty sure there's no K-7-specific way of adding a GPS module. There are many products available that will add GPS-tagging info to your memory card. Essentially you carry the GPS unit with you on your shooting session, and when you're done taking pictures, you put the memory card in the GPS unit and it tags all the pictures with their respective GPS co-ordinates based on what time the pictures were taken (the GPS unit keeps track of where you were at a given time). This requires the camera and GPS unit to be set to the right time.

It's an extra step, but a simple one, and my understanding is that it works very well if you can find a reliable GPS tagging unit. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of which ones are any good, my research ended right about at that point. Now you've got me interested in looking into it some more.
02-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #3

There may be some universal flash hot shoe mountable GPS units on the market, which should work with any camera.

However, as mentioned above, any general use GPS unit will work, as long as it is capable of recording tracks.

You may want to have a look at this tool:
Inside Photography: Geotagging pictures using geotag

I worked nicely for me
02-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #4

Jobo market a GPS geotager. It is very compact (I think it may weigh about 80 grams) and fits onto the hotshoe. It is available in the UK and Europe but I don't know about the USA (don't live there) only ever seen it advertsed and have never seen anyone using one or even in a shop to buy.