Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My ZX-M is better than my K20D because: the ZX-M is full-frame, so my 21mm and 24mm lenses are WIDE and my 16mm is a REAL fisheye - and the ZX-M with the battery pack stays juiced MUCH longer - and with my silver FA 100-300 on the silver-body ZX-M it all looks really kewl - and the ZX-M has a much wider ISO range (try getting ISO 10 or 10K on the K20D, eh?) - and I'm not tempted to chimp on the ZX-M - and I'm more likely to actually PRINT images taken with the ZX-M - and etc etc. Gosh, the K20D is so retarded!

</satire>
There are lots of great reviews on that ZX-M.
Of course, this would be a perfect match with FF lenses. Lots of users of older Pentax film cameras agree on that.
JP

02-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Very true. This sort of bashing happens in every gear-centered forum, from entry-level up to the very top - Canon 1DX and Nikon D3x bodies are some of the worse-bashed in history, and some of the best-defended.

Leica advocates seem to have adopted a "just leave us alone!" mindset in the digital age, as they increasingly try to justify the rangefinder platform adapted to digital, and priced in the stratosphere.

I think the bashing breaks down two ways - those that really have a legit gripe and just want to discuss it, and those that delight in causing turmoil and simply picking fights - I call the second group "high-content trolls", because they provide just enough legitimacy and 'meat' to keep themselves from getting banned from whatever forums they haunt.
Those who have a real reason for "bashing" a product usually are quite straight forward: they report it, after having tried everything they could to fix the problem, make known of their frustration and then just act on the facts: they buy something else or switch brand entirely. Period, no more discussion.
The Trolls? I suppose it is their way of venting frustration.

I think that if you become a two-system shooter, it can really bring perspective. You see the weaknesses of Pentax in the stark relief that only comes from constant usage and comparison (vs online, second-hand memes,) but you'll also see and come to appreciate Pentax's strengths.
I can see your point. Very recently, I went out shooting some pics with a couple of friends. One of them had this Nikon D300 coupled with a rather big zoom lens - a 100-400mm maybe ... anyway, it was big - I did give it a test run, at flying gulls. My impression: impressive AF ... fast and it locks on right on the button. Other than that, I was quite happy with my K7 but I thought this would be a great "second" camera! Lenses, on the other hand, are very expensive!
For example, I appreciate the Limiteds much more than I did before I bought heavily into Nikon. They are not cheap lenses, but they are unique, and actually stack up against much more expensive pro lenses from Nikon and Canon, while keeping a small form factor - very unique and special. I half expect Canon and Nikon to come up with some similar lines in the next 10 years, as their 'Limiteds" (whatever they call them) will be bought by newbies and fully-stocked folks as well who want to buy something unique, even if it overlaps with a lens they already have.
I don't have any Limited's but I keep seeing rave reviews by proud owners of these lenses. By the way ... this is not good for my LBA hwat you just mentioned about Ltd's.
A far as body comparisons go, I find that the very real advantages another manufacturer may have in any general area are often blown up a bit - in most casual shooting situations, any modern DSLR is capable of getting the job done. High-ISO performance and AF speed are two areas where Pentax lags behind Nikon a bit, but I grab my K20D in low-light situations just as often when I don't need to track a quickly moving object - in-body SR is very valuable in those situations to me.
I do a lot of bird photography ... at times, I wish I had more latitude with low light conditions and would like a bit faster AF. But that doesn't happen too often. So, the K20D/K7 fit the bill in at least 95% of the time. For the remaining 5%, oh well.
In the end, I guess we all like to gripe. It's often a useful way Camera companies get feedback, too. I have a problem with it when it generates bad feelings, and when the High Content Trolls began ruling the forums for a while after a body release.

We are in for another round of this as soon as Pentax releases another camera body. Soon? Maybe not, but "if you build it, it will come".

Thanks for the logical reply!
Cheers!

JP
02-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's human nature to bash the equipment. Heaven forbid that after spending all that money the weak link is the person you stare at in the mirror.
I was going to say that: It's human nature to bash the equipment, but you beat me to it!
JP
02-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I've started blaming my lack of amazing photographs on the fact that I don't live in the right location. Maybe I need to move to Easter Island...
... And maybe you'd find yourself so lonely that you'd yearn for the caves, states parks, and the Patoka Lake?
A friend of mine was there last year and brought back some pretty amazing pictures.

JP

02-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok, here is the opposite of a bash--a rave. I have been using the K-x for a month or so, and I have to honestly say I have not been this satisfied with a camera purchase since I bought my first MX and M lenses in 1981. It is my fourth DSLR, and I bought this camera mainly to assemble a light ensemble that runs on AA batts for travel. What I got was something that opened up new subjects around me.

The combination of the small size of the camera, the innocous but lovely DALtd lenses, and the low light capabilities have me taking candids of people in a way I have not in more than 20 years. I am slipping the the K-x and a couple of pancakes in my jacket pocket, or bringing a more complete set in the smallest Domke with room to spare. My K-x is with me at parties, performances and all sorts of gatherings where I never took a bigger rig. The camera and the tiny primes sing at ISO 1600, and I have yet to pop the flash indoors or attach a zoom. My friends are blown away by the results, and most of them could not even recall that I was taking photos. It is the kind of intimate experience that used to get Leica owners all teary.

I say thank you, Pentax.
02-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Ok, here is the opposite of a bash--a rave. I have been using the K-x for a month or so, and I have to honestly say I have not been this satisfied with a camera purchase since I bought my first MX and M lenses in 1981. It is my fourth DSLR, and I bought this camera mainly to assemble a light ensemble that runs on AA batts for travel. What I got was something that opened up new subjects around me.

The combination of the small size of the camera, the innocous but lovely DALtd lenses, and the low light capabilities have me taking candids of people in a way I have not in more than 20 years. I am slipping the the K-x and a couple of pancakes in my jacket pocket, or bringing a more complete set in the smallest Domke with room to spare. My K-x is with me at parties, performances and all sorts of gatherings where I never took a bigger rig. The camera and the tiny primes sing at ISO 1600, and I have yet to pop the flash indoors or attach a zoom. My friends are blown away by the results, and most of them could not even recall that I was taking photos. It is the kind of intimate experience that used to get Leica owners all teary.

I say thank you, Pentax.
Nice to see some positive!
Yes, I hear/read about this Kx/Ltd's combo and everyone agrees that it really rocks!
I did think of getting me one of those but, as my LBA funds are running out, that'll only be a "consideration". Maybe I can persuade my wife to buy herself one!

JP
02-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #37
Igilligan

Yes, I so agree Gene

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

I say thank you, Pentax.
Nice to see you and I are happy Gene, but to read this thread, if you praise the K-x and its hi Iso capability you are somehow bashing the horrible noisy sensor of the K10, and the weak Live View of the K20, and the outragious price of the K7... you should be ashamed of yourself! I know I am.

Last edited by Igilligan; 02-08-2010 at 06:35 PM.
02-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Nice to see you and I are happy Gene, but to read this thread, if you praise the K-x and its hi Iso capability you are somehow bashing the horrible noisy sensor of the K10, and the weak Live View of the K20, and the outragious price of the K7... you should be ashamed of yourself! I know I am.
That's funny but true, Gus.

Actually, each of those bodies (that I own) still has a home and a purpose in my stable. It is nice to be pleasantly surprised, though.