Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Battery issue with K-x

I used the factory AAs that came with my K-x until they ran low this morning. I put in a brand new, freshly charged set of Eneloops - but the battery indicator still shows up as very low. I thought this problem had been fixed with the firmware upgrade, which I did install. Am I missing something?

02-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Did you select the two "Reset" options that are in the menus after updating your firmware? One in is Setup 3 and the other is in Custom 4.

Also, in Setup 3, select NiMH as the battery type.
02-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply.

I don't think I did the reset options you mentioned after updating the firmware.

I just did them now. First I did the Custom 4 reset, then the Setup 3 reset. Then I selected NiMH as the battery type.

But the battery still shows as low.

Do I need to reinstall the firmware?
02-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I used the factory AAs that came with my K-x until they ran low this morning. I put in a brand new, freshly charged set of Eneloops - but the battery indicator still shows up as very low. I thought this problem had been fixed with the firmware upgrade, which I did install. Am I missing something?
I never have that problem with my eneloops.

My suggestion: drain the eneloops completely (stick them in a torch or something for a few hours until they are completely flat), then recharge them again.

Also are you using the Sanyo eneloop charger or something else? Not all chargers know how to recharge eneloops properly.

02-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Do I need to reinstall the firmware?
The firmware runs the camera. As long as the camera works and you reset so that the camera gets a chance to load all of its default options, you should be good to go as far as the firmware is concerned. To be absolutely sure just check the EXIF data of an image. In the Makernotes there should be DSP and CPU Firmware Version properties and both should say 1.01.00.07.

My K-x just didn't seem to like NiMH cells. That turned out to be fine, because I had bought the new NiZn cells for the camera, and it seems to love those. PowerGenix NiZn cells are 1.6v and have characteristics that are more like Lithium cells. My autofocus speed is faster and my flash recycle time is shorter. Amazon and other places sell them now.
02-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
When you say brand new, does that mean this is the first time you charged the batteries and put them in a device? What kind of charger do you have, and about how long did the batteries take to charge?

I doubt re-installing the firmware will have an effect (but just doing stuff with the camera might also, so if you reinstall too soon and it starts working again, you couldn't be confident of the reason). Also, reinstalling the firmware using batteries that read very low would be an exceedingly risky thing to do.

First I would try would be to give all the terminals on the batteries a vigorous clean with a pencil eraser in case they've built up a layer of oxidation. I'd also try using them for a few cycles to see if that spruces them up.

Did you buy the batteries from a reputable place? Sometimes those really low prices on ebay are for imitations.
02-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The eneloops were purchased from Amazon along with the eneloops charger. This is the first time I've ever used them. I charged them until the lights stopped blinking about a week ago, and they've been sitting in my bag since then. The EXIF in Lightroom shows "Software: K-x Ver 1.0.1".

I'll try draining the eneloops and recharging. I guess if that doesn't help I should try the NiZn?
02-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I love these battery threads BTW.

Until I came onto these forums I never realised how rich and complex the whole world of rechargable AA's really was. There must be literally thousands of posts in this forum about AA's, going back years and years, regarding various camera models, flashes, different battery technologies, chargers etc etc. Quite awesome.

02-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Until I came onto these forums I never realised how rich and complex the whole world of rechargable AA's really was. There must be literally thousands of posts in this forum about AA's, going back years and years, regarding various camera models, flashes, different battery technologies, chargers etc etc. Quite awesome.
If you love these you'll go gaga over battery threads in the radio-controlled model forums. There are discussions on NiMH, NiCd, Li-ion, LiPo, LiFe, charging, conditioning, balancing...you name it. If it has to do with a battery, there's an argument going on about it this very second!

22 years ago big sub-c sized Sanyo NiCds with their measly 1200 mah were state-of-the-art. I had, not one, but two Tekin BC200 chargers at 190 bucks each, and I’d connect them in parallel to send 9 amps to the battery for an 8 minute charge time. Why? Had too…if I wanted a chance at winning the race. Otherwise I’d be left in the dust ‘cause everyone else was doing it. Those racing days were fun, but man was it expensive!
02-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #10

The eneloops were purchased from Amazon along with the eneloops charger. This is the first time I've ever used them. I charged them until the lights stopped blinking about a week ago, and they've been sitting in my bag since then.
Can you identify the charger more precisely? I think there have been a few different chargers bundled with the eneloops.

On the NC-MQN05, which is one of the bundled chargers, a blinking light indicates an error. From the manual:

Blinking every two seconds: room temp out of range (32F-104F). Not charging.
Blinking every 0.5 seconds: Abnormal battery.

Also on this charger it's important for it to be inserted vertically, right way up, with the cover closed.
02-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

And yet they are defended to the death. It's like a thread a week where new users are totally perplexed why battery xyz doesn't work, charge or display on the battery meter.

They really are more trouble than good for new users.
02-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Forum Member

Who cares what the indicator says. Take pictures. If the battery life is hundreds of shots, then it looks like everything is fine. If you only get a few pictures off, then it looks like you really do have a problem. You won't know until you start taking pictures.

I have two sets of enloops. One set always shows green and goes to orange when filming for long periods. The other set always shows orange and goes to red when filming for long times. I have yet to have either set die on me after a day of shooting video.
02-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Graystar Quote
Did you select the two "Reset" options that are in the menus after updating your firmware? One in is Setup 3 and the other is in Custom 4.

Also, in Setup 3, select NiMH as the battery type.
Just so you know...I did that and my indicator went from green to red!! I turned off the camera and on agin and its green. Just so everyone knows what to expect.

I read another forum (dpreview) about kx and batteries...quite informative. It actually referred to this site..so I joined
02-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OutOfFocus Quote
Can you identify the charger more precisely? I think there have been a few different chargers bundled with the eneloops.

On the NC-MQN05, which is one of the bundled chargers, a blinking light indicates an error. From the manual:

Blinking every two seconds: room temp out of range (32F-104F). Not charging.
Blinking every 0.5 seconds: Abnormal battery.

Also on this charger it's important for it to be inserted vertically, right way up, with the cover closed.
I have model NC-MQN06U, and it appears that when the two lights under the batteries blink every few seconds it is charging normally, and when the lights are always on, it is done charging. Also, it doesn't have a cover.
02-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
I have model NC-MQN06U, and it appears that when the two lights under the batteries blink every few seconds it is charging normally, and when the lights are always on, it is done charging. Also, it doesn't have a cover.
Stupid Sanyo! LED status has totally different meaning in similar chargers. No wonder people get confused.

Anyway, the NC-MQN06U charges cells in pairs, so if one of the cells was more discharged than the others (unlikely for Eneloops, I know) it might take a few cycles to bring it up to full capacity.