Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Help with manual lenses on K-x

I just bought a K-x to use with my M42 manual lenses. I have the genuine Pentax adapter. There seems to be a problem with the focus confirmation hexagon. It doesn't show up at all. The only way I can focus isjust by eyeballing it.

Likewise, I turned on the focus trap feature and it doesn't freeze the shutter at all.

Also no in body stabilization with these lenses. It won't even let me turn it on.

My smc-m 200/4 lens doesnt work at all. The "F" flashes for the f stop info.

Thanks for any help!

02-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've tried my K-x with both M42s and M lenses and they work fine... so hopefully the following works

QuoteOriginally posted by stonedes Quote
I just bought a K-x to use with my M42 manual lenses. I have the genuine Pentax adapter. There seems to be a problem with the focus confirmation hexagon. It doesn't show up at all. The only way I can focus isjust by eyeballing it.
Try
1. Enabling use of lenses with aperture ring
2. Use Av mode, with stop down metering (switch the lens to manual). Shutter Speed should change accordingly. You might have to dial + on the exposure compensation.
4. Half press the shutter while focusing, or you can assign AF / AE-L button to do AF (option2), and use that as focus assist. I'm not 100% sure whether there's hexagon or not, but it definitely beeped for me.

QuoteQuote:
Likewise, I turned on the focus trap feature and it doesn't freeze the shutter at all.
This is normal, M42s aren't supposed to have focus trap, it's only for K-mount lenses. If you REALLY need focus trap, short the 'A' pin by putting a aluminum foil between the lens and the mount.

QuoteQuote:
Also no in body stabilization with these lenses. It won't even let me turn it on.
Not sure what's wrong here. Shake Reduction should still be selectable even with no lens attached (in fact when you attach an M42 lens, the camera doesnt really care whether there's a lens attached or not). Maybe you've chosen 2 second timer (SR will automatically be disabled)?

QuoteQuote:
My smc-m 200/4 lens doesnt work at all. The "F" flashes for the f stop info.
This is normal, use Manual mode, and green button for metering after you set aperture on the lens

Hope that helps

Last edited by Andi Lo; 02-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.
02-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Andi

Thank you for your help! I followed your advice and set the aperature ring in the custom menu. Made all the difference with the k mount lens.

Then it seems that I need to short the contacts on the mount when I mounted my m42's. I put a little foil on there and I got the same info as when I mounted the k mount lens.
02-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stonedes Quote
Thank you for your help! I followed your advice and set the aperature ring in the custom menu. Made all the difference with the k mount lens.

Then it seems that I need to short the contacts on the mount when I mounted my m42's. I put a little foil on there and I got the same info as when I mounted the k mount lens.
It still boggles my mind why this option isn't just selected by default; it gives alot of people so much trouble! Personally I used to short my M42s for a while but decided that with the amount of lens changing that I do, it's not worth the hassle, so I just leave my camera at +2 compensation. Enjoy the lenses!