Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
[suggestion] New function for next Pentax APS-C DSLR

Hello,

This is just a suggestion for another model of Pentax DSLR whenever such a thing comes out. It's something I've been mulling around in my little head and I thought that I might as well post it and see what people thought of it - if it has any legs or if I'm being profoundly clueless =)
  • We already have in-camera HDR, which combines exposures
  • We also have in-camera multiple exposure, which again combines exposures.
  • I'd like to suggest an in-camera focus stacking function which combines focus points

Here's my marketing logic and a little elaboration.

Many many moons ago I did the marketing for an online game. We were not the first to market nor were we especially successful. As a team we were about to give up because we just couldn't get the player numbers. So what I did was move the playing fields - and deliberately chose features that nobody could compete with. So rather than trying to be the biggest and best (which we wern't), I quite deliberately moved the playing field so that other companies couldn't compete. 3 years later, and entirely through this strategy, we became one of the biggest and best, and it's still going 10 years later. So I know this strategy works, although obviously you have to have an ok product in the first place.

So what I mean to this is a new function added along the existing set. It would, I guess, work something like this. You focus on the far point and set it as focus point A. Then do the same for the near point. Then choose # of exposures - 3,5 or 7. Press the magic button and the camera will automatically take a set of shots with the focus point moved incrementally to cover the whole lot. There seem to be plenty of focus stacking programmes out there that could be coopted for this to then producs an in-camera image - heck Pentax could just buy out one. Or alternatively they could add it as a function and leave the combining of them to the photographer.

I thought this could be quite neat because it'd a) appeal to the macro crowd, b) I havn't seen it offered by any camera brand and c) perhaps make this work uniquely for Pentax lenses only (not sure about this but it'd make a great USP). Also it means that you might be able to use a much lower f stop for those situations where there's just not enough light -- instead of being forced to use f16 or f22 or whatever.

Anyhow that's just a thought I had. Not sure what you think but I think it's got legs =)

Cheers

Nass

02-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

FOCUS BRACKETING

Sound interesting, but a little complicated. I have another idea: FOCUS BRACKETING.

Amount of bracketing could be preset in inches, % or simply unit-less scale 1 to10. This would make portrait shooting much more reliable.

Soo many images are ruined beyond PP repair because of bad focus. Whether it is a lens, camera or too little time to focus properly, this could save many of those one-time, mission-critical shots. Catching the eye spark in perfect focus can be really challenging, and certainly not easily achievable 100% of times (not for me anyways ).

I for one would use it all the time when shooting people. And if anyone comes up with this feature, please let it be Pentax.

Slawek
02-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah Slawek, guess we're thinking along similar lines. Seems such an obvious extension of what's already possible I'm surprised nobody has done it yet.
02-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Id like the focus bracketing feature. Nice idea. Great for macros too. Youd have to customize it in the menus (3 shot - 5 shot etc..)