Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Disassemble the Pentax K10D

I need a guide on how to disassemble the K10D. I have been trying to find any screws on the front with no luck, but still cant seem to get the top off. I have removed the two screws on the left side, two around viewfinder and three on the right. Also removed the one screw ontop inside flash. But i still cant seem to get the top off.

Can anyone help me find a guide or anthing that could help me get the top off?

I have tried following some of the pictures in here http://rocketri.de/?p=45 but either its stuck hard or im missing a screw somewhere.

Apparantly i put it in the wrong part of the forum sorry.

Last edited by maximm; 02-08-2010 at 08:03 AM.
02-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try inside battery hole =)
02-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
maximm, here is the K10D srvice manual to download - Downloads
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, the link did the trick! I repaired the half working AE-L button and now it works properly. Before it would set off at any time. I simply put a bit of electrical tape between the button and trigger, and now it works whenever I want it to work!
Kickass camera, the K10D but damn I've gotten spoiled by the K-x ISO performance. I hesitate to put the K10D even at more than ISO400 when i can let the K-x do whatever it wants.
Think i got a pretty good deal on it. About $100 for a K10D with 30k shutter actuations and non working flash and broken AE-L button (now fixed).

Can't wait to take it out for a spin somewhere more interesting than the local neighbourhood in the evening...

04-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #5

replace broken AE-L exposure Lock on K20 D

The dis-assembly instructions in the links above also work for the Pentax K20D, which had a broken Exposure lock button (tiniest movement caused to button to make contact, and protect pictures, or lock exposure). I unsoldered the tiny switch under the button and replaced it with a new switch. Took about 2 hours work total, (after finding and studying the Pentax K10 service manual instructions in links above).

I got the switch from Digi-Key in the USA for 20 cents, ($0.2 plus $2 shipping). Sold by several distributors on the web. Switch TL3315NF250Q, Surface mount low profile tactile 250Gram force. The same switch is also used on other Pentax buttons, such as the Green button.
04-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jadran Quote
maximm, here is the K10D srvice manual to download - Downloads
Wow, nice link!
10-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That does look useful. My AE-L button isn't working , would love to get it going again.

10-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #8

Hi y'all. As a computer and electronics technician that have done some work on some Pentax 35mm film SLR cameras and lenses, I can tell you that it's a good idea to have a basic digital camera set on macro to shoot every significant disassembly step, to not lose a beat on the proccess. Enjoy!
10-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
That does look useful. My AE-L button isn't working , would love to get it going again.
I had the same problem, took the top cover off by removing the screws as indicated by the above posts. The hardest one to get out was the one in the battery compartment. You will need a long and thin Philips head driver. Anyways I fixed my AE-L problem by just adding a small square of clear screen protector that I had around. It seems like the little pin under the AE-L button is just to short or the button does not travel enough to push the dome switch under it. Took me no longer than 5 minutes to get this fixed. Btw before I took it apart, I tested that the AE-L function was working by using a battery grip with the button also to confirm it. To make sure it was a hardware issue not the something else...