Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

reson for joining: sensor failure

I have owned 6 Pentax SLR cameras - 4 - 35 mm, 2- digital. All of the cameras have served me well. My istDL has served me well for 4 years but has now developed "banding" at ISO 3200. I have been told by the camera store and Pentax that this indicates sensor failure and requires sensor replacement if I expect to continue using the camera. I came across your website when trying to research this issue on the internet. I am wondering if "banding" is a common problem on the istDL and if the problem that I have can only be solved by sensor replacement (cost $350)? Can I continue to use the camera at lower ISO settings without banding? I understand that some manufacturers have repaired or replaced cameras with sensor problems and am wondering if Pentax is one of those manufacturers? I did purchase a K-x as I did not want to be without a camera while I sorted through the problems with the istDL.

02-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure I can answer the question you have. You would have more chances of getting responses if you post your query in here; Pentax DSLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com

Welcome to the forum.
02-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ege Quote
Can I continue to use the camera at lower ISO settings without banding?
Seems like it would be worth trying. My DS has a little banding at 3200 when exposed. I never see the problem at 1600 or lower.

Tim
02-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome! I don't really see a problem with using the camera at lower ISOs as long as it is working. It isn't really worth replacing, you can get a refurbished K100D body through the bestbuy website for $259 plus tax/ship. Same sensor (if you are used to the results and like the 6mp sensor you currently have), slightly large but with the added benefit of shake reduction as well, which is well worth the money. If you're in the twin cities area you should keep an eye out on the national camera website (Home) which lists their used camera equipment. They can send it to any of their stores for you. A few weeks back there was a used *ist DL body only for $199, and currently a *istDL body/kit lens for $299 (though the bestbuy K100d price is the better deal). Good luck with your decision!

edit: I didn't see the notes you bought a K-x as well, so don't need to replace it! again I can't think of a reason you couldn't keep using it. You could probably get a reasonable price for it in the marketplace here as well, if not for you I am sure someone would put it in their bag as an emergency backup.